Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESXi and SBS2008

Hello,

We are planning some infrastructure upgrades and as a part of that plan we'll be
    installing the SBS2008 in the virtual environment. I have a very general question
    so maybe someone who has some experience with this could please advise me
    if it would be possible to implement ?
    It is very simple: we're going to buy two latest Dell servers, both obviously will be
    compatible with esxi. Both will be on the same lan. I will install sbs2008 as a
    virtual machine on one of those physical servers. Once it is fully tested and ready to
    go, I will need to move this machine to the second physical server. Servers will be
    different models but however, in terms of RAM and disk space they will be the same.
    There could be a difference in number of CPUs. How, in your opinion, this may impact
    the SBS2008 ? Am I going to have a lot of troubles ?
    Thank you in advance!
    regards,

Mihail Kravsun
    MCSA, CCNA

Re: ESXi and SBS2008

the configuration of the physical base server doesn't matter, provided that when you create the virtual guest, you create it so that it does not exceed capabilities of the lowest-speced physical host.

by this i mean:
    if you have 2 physical servers, 1 with 2xcpu 16GB ram and 500GB, and the second with 4xcpu 8GB and 1TB, then you need to ensure your virtual guest does not exceed:
    2xcpu,8GB Ram, 500GB disk.

that's the beauty of virtualisation.. you can move the virtual guest from the lower-powered host up to the higher-power host, or vice versa.
    Obviously, there will be some performance differences dependant on rsource shares though.

does this help ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi Tehcamel,

yes, this really helps. Thank you very much for your reply I am more confident now in
      planning this project.
      regards,

Mihail Kravsun
      MCSA, CCNA

Comment

no probs buddy
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          the configuration of the physical base server doesn't matter, provided that when you create the virtual guest, you create it so that it does not exceed capabilities of the lowest-speced physical host.

by this i mean:
          if you have 2 physical servers, 1 with 2xcpu 16GB ram and 500GB, and the second with 4xcpu 8GB and 1TB, then you need to ensure your virtual guest does not exceed:
          2xcpu,8GB Ram, 500GB disk.

that's the beauty of virtualisation.. you can move the virtual guest from the lower-powered host up to the higher-power host, or vice versa.
          Obviously, there will be some performance differences dependant on rsource shares though.

does this help ?
          Just to add to tehcamel's comments.

The only time you coud possibly run into an issue is if you were using vCenter to manage and ESX/ESXi cluster and were attempting to use VMotion to migrate VM's accross disperate CPU makes and models. May not apply to your configuration but just some extra info.

-Jason
          MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Comment

good call actually!

You may need to reinstall the VMware tools if you don't have the same sort of procssor, ie if you go from an amd to intel or vice versa

I based my feedback on the idea of there only being 2 servers, and probably not being a DR/HA cluster..

Comment

Silly question but why when you have two servers would you want to virtualise SBS when it would run better on the physical hardware rather than VM`s?

ITs not as if youd ever run additional servers on the hosts and thats quite an overhead there...
              Allen White
              MCSE,MCSA,MCITP,MCTS,CCA,CCSP,VCP

Comment

I could think of a couple of reasons.

Maybe he's intending to have a prd and dev environment ? He mentioned building it on one, then migrating it to the other. That would potentially give two totally similar servers, and changes could be tested on dev before being migrated...

Or maybe he wants to use the infrastructure for HA and DR? (Sure, no Shared backend is mentioned, but doesn't mean it's not included)

And we don't know he's not running other guests as well, it simply hasn't been mentioned in the provided information.

Comment

Had to ask as ive seen people running vmware for no reason when the physical would of been better, especialy with exchange 2007 eating the resources it does.
                  rememeber to put at leats sp1 onto exchange MS dont support it with at least sp1.
                  Allen White
                  MCSE,MCSA,MCITP,MCTS,CCA,CCSP,VCP

Comment

I agree - some people will just spruik virtualisation as being the answer to the entire IT industry. Sometimes it Is, sometimes it's not..

I'm not saying this instance is either.. just a collegiate argument

Comment

Hi Mihail Kravsun,

From my past experience with SBS2008 please consider the following:

1. SBS2008 with Exchange 2007 and all default feature for 10 users network consuming about 8GB of RAM

2. SBS2008 is OEM product, so according to MS it must be installed only on one machine. As soon as you activate it and move it to another host with different Motherboard/CPU you will need to reactivate it by calling to MS.
                      And also if you want to use MS products in virtual environment they have to be Volume Licensed rather then OEM.

Hope this helps.
                      Ev

Comment

Working...
                      X