Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new beginning in virtualization.

Hi david,

First of all, i would like to say that your videos are amazing, and all this things we can do today in virtualizattion is something we dreamt about a few years ago.

Today i'm working as an IT administrator, and i really would like to get started with hands on, and discover this amazing virtualization world, and i'll appriciate if you'll tell me exactlly where can i start.

I already have the latest vmware workstation, and i know that there's a trick to install esxi on vmware workstation.

So....where should i begin.?

I know that there is VMware Vsphere,VMware virtual center manager, can you explain me a bit the diffrences...and What is the latest train signal package that i need to purchase in oreder to dive in and start learning?

btw, at home i'm using windows xp with 4gb, will it be enough to learn about esx servers, and Data centers?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Best regards,
    Nahum
    Israel

Re: A new beginning in virtualization.

Originally posted by Nahum Eliash View Post
    Hi david,

First of all, i would like to say that your videos are amazing, and all this things we can do today in virtualizattion is something we dreamt about a few years ago.
    Actually - I remember virtualisation going back as far as BOCHS - 10 years ago
    http://bochs.sourceforge.net/news.html
    But it has definitely, definitely come miles further, and is mostly a stable and appropriate enterprise platform.

Today i'm working as an IT administrator, and i really would like to get started with hands on, and discover this amazing virtualization world, and i'll appriciate if you'll tell me exactlly where can i start.

I already have the latest vmware workstation, and i know that there's a trick to install esxi on vmware workstation.

So....where should i begin.?
    Personally - i wouldn't suggest you installed a virtualisation technology on top of another one. It's just not the greatest idea in the world, especially if you are looking to start out. It's only become possible to install ESX inside ESX since ESXv4..
    I know that there is VMware Vsphere,VMware virtual center manager, can you explain me a bit the diffrences...and What is the latest train signal package that i need to purchase in oreder to dive in and start learning?
    VMware vSphere is the new version of ESX or ESXi. ESX is the full corporate edition and ESXi is the free version. There's a few differences between them.
    VMware Virtual Centre manager is an application for managing farms of VMware ESX servers. It's not much use to you without ESX below it.
    [/quote]

btw, at home i'm using windows xp with 4gb, will it be enough to learn about esx servers, and Data centers?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Best regards,
    Nahum
    Israel
    A PC with 4GB RAM IS enough to run virtualisation platforms, however you won't be able to provide much resources to your virtual guests.
    If it was me - I'd look into buying myself a second PC, give it MORE ram, and then just use ESXi on it.
    Alternately - maybe you could use Microsoft Windows 2008 Core with Hyper-V.

There's a whole world of it out there:
    VMware (who were the first mainstream producers of virtualisation technology)
    provide the following:
    ESX and ESXi - these are "operating systems" or hypervisors that you install straight onto a computer. You then create virtual "guests" on top of them.
    VMware Server - this is a virtualisation program that you install on top of Windows XP, or Windows Server, etc, and run virtual guests on top.

Microsoft
    Virtual PC and Virtual server - both products very similar to VMware Server - except one is aimed more at desktop users, and one is aimed at server OS.
    HyperV - HyperV is the microsoft equivalent of ESX, in a way. You install Server 2008 Core, and then add the HyperV roles.

Xen - this is another one - I'll be honest I haven't used it yet. I beleive it to be similar to ESX.

I'd be happy to help more as necessary

cheers,

Andy
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi Andy,

I think i can say that my friend daniel petri is blessed with good proffesional people in he's forums. -

Any way, thank you very much andy, you answered my questions, and yes...i konw that with only 4gb ram i won't be able to do much, that's why i thought that maybe i'll buy my self a laptop, and add more mempry to this pc. (i thought about buying memory sticks of 2gb each).

About the virtualization App managers, i have couple of questions...

Do you think that managing an enviroment with 8gb ram is good enough for learning, and what is the trainsignal course you reccomend me to start with?

my vision for my self in virtualization is to be good at if, because i definitaly thinks that this is where IT is goint to, no more big server farm...

Andy thank you so much for your help.

If you have som tips for me, i'll be happy to hear them.

Best regards,
      Nahum
      Israel.

Comment

Hi nahum,

8GB would definitely be enough for learning. ESX or ESXi would give you the lowest operating foot print (allowing more memory for guests)

trainsignal courses, I'm not really sure, I haven't used them for virtualisation sorry

virtualisation is definitely where it's going.. although it's more "cloud" virtualisation now

tips..? well, one would be ESX does memory sharing and ballooning, which hyperv doesn't. By this I mean, wit ESX, you can assign more memory to guests than actual physical ram. so you could have 3 x4GB guests with your 8GB ram, as it will share memory. Of course - if you suddenly start using all that 4GB on all 3 guests, it'll go very very slow.
        HyperV does not share memory - you must allocate memory to each host, so with your 8GB, you'd only get 2x4GB guests.

make use of snapshots - it's a good way to roll back on a guest if you stuff somethin up
        but don't snapshot tooo much, and ensure you flatten them regularly..
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi andy,

Once again, thanx for the tips, and i wanted to ask one more thing about thing about ESX and ESXI.

The tip about memory sharing sounds AMAZING...how can i possiblly assign more physical memory to VM'S if i have only 4 GB.?.....this is something i have to see in my own eyes...

One last things (hope you won't be mad at me, asking so many things)...
          Do i manage my ESX and ESXI machines with VMware vCenterTM Server, or with VMWare Vsphere?

Thanx again for your kind assistance.

Nahum
          Israel.

Comment

not at all mad

"vsphere" is a new name for ESX that came out with version 4.
            You use vCenter to manage resources.

consider a set of 4 web servers, running windows 2003, iis6.0 and a website.
            now - all of those machines are using the same base code... esx can recognise this, and so use portions of the same memory together. it's based on the concept that many guests will never use their full 100% of memory allocation, and if they do, they won't all do it at the same time. Usually.

it's a similar concept to data de-duplication...

Comment

Working...
            X