VMware Doubts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware Doubts

guys, i have got several doubts on VMware ESX. can you please reply me if you know the answers to any one of the below questions

thank you in anticipation for all those who reply for my questions.

1) How do we install ESX on the SAN to boot it off the SAN?
    2)how do we back up SQL data base of Virtual Center Server? is it something that a SQL DBA takes care of or do we have to do it as a VMware Admin?
    3)while installing VCenter server, its asking to install apache tomcat server. Why is that? this is with ESX 3.5
    4)do we need a separate license for VCenter server apart from the licenses we buy for ESX servers?
    5)if 2 virtual machine port groups are on two different VLANs, in order to route them, do we need to configure a vyatta router. How do we do that if we are not a Cisco guy?
    6)we only give IP numbers for Service consoles and Vmkernals but not to virtual machine port groups. if so, how do those VMs on those virtual machine port groups know what their IP numbers are? if we want a static IP number for a VM, do we have to configure it inside windows of a VM?
    7) is Virtual Machine Power off a graceful shutdown?
    what happens when we pause a Virtual Machine? i think there is no such option in an original physical windows machine. then what does this pause VM means?
    9)How many RDP sessions can be done simultaneously to a windows 2003 or 2008 server?
    10)How many vsphere clients can access the vcenter server simultaneously?
    Last edited by jdsony; 25th March 2010, 20:12.

Re: VMware Doubts

1) How do we install ESX on the SAN to boot it off the SAN?
    This link should get you started. Make sure though (of course) that you are working from supported hardware on the vSphere HCL

2)how do we back up SQL data base of Virtual Center Server? is it something that a SQL DBA takes care of or do we have to do it as a VMware Admin?
    You back up your SQL database like any other database you have - if your DBA is responsible for that then let them continue to do it.

3)while installing VCenter server, its asking to install apache tomcat server. Why is that? this is with ESX 3.5
    vCenter server need a web server - it does not use IIS. There reason being that there are many components that access the API of vCenter and that need a Web server. In addition - if you would like you can give your users access to vCenter through the Web interface (although I would not recommend this as best practice).

4)do we need a separate license for VCenter server apart from the licenses we buy for ESX servers?
    That is the way VMware licenses their products - a license for the management server and a license for each CPU of an ESX host that is managed under this vCenter Server.

5)if 2 virtual machine port groups are on two different VLANs, in order to route them, do we need to configure a vyatta router. How do we do that if we are not a Cisco guy?
    You can configure the routing in through the Vyatta router to do the work - there are more than enough howto's and walkthrough's on the WWW that will help you out there. If you want you can leave the routing to the "cisco" guys and let the traffic flow through the physical switches like any other net work traffic.

6)we only give IP numbers for Service consoles and Vmkernals but not to virtual machine port groups. if so, how do those VMs on those virtual machine port groups know what their IP numbers are? if we want a static IP number for a VM, do we have to configure it inside windows of a VM?
    Like any other Operating System - you allocate an IP to the OS - either static or DHCP

7) is Virtual Machine Power off a graceful shutdown?
    Power off is like pulling the plug. If you want a graceful shutdown - then you will need VMware tools installed in the VM and then the option you should choose is "Shut down Guest Operating System".
    8. what happens when we pause a Virtual Machine? i think there is no such option in an original physical windows machine. then what does this pause VM means?
    I think you can compare Pause to a Suspend state of a Windows OS.

9)How many RDP sessions can be done simultaneously to a windows 2003 or 2008 server?
    Exactly the same as with a physical server - Administration Mode - 2 + 1 console, Terminal Services - depends on your licensing

10)How many vSphere clients can access the vCenter server simultaneously?
    vCenter on 32-bit - 15
    vCenter on 64-bit - 30

Configuration Maximums

If you have any more question please feel free to ask.
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Just to add some things on as well.

We are in the process of migrating to Exchange 2007 and I can honestly say in testing VMWare has saved us a BUCKET load of time in testing, rebuilding servers etc.

Also is there any reason why you are looking at ESX and not ESXi? ESXi can be booted of an SD card, it is how our HP blades boot, then the VMs are stored on our SAN.

I do not have my VM books in front of me, but if you do go the ESX route, I belive you need a separate LUN/Volume per ESX machine

Dave

Comment

Hi Maish,

thanks for your time and patience. i am very happy that you replied all my questions and clarified my doubts. thanks once again. just now been to your blog and read about yourself. nice to know that you are a computer savvy. i would follow your blog from now on. thank you again.

hi dave,

i think most corporates prefer ESX to ESXi i reckon. thats y i am looking at ESX
        Last edited by jdsony; 31st March 2010, 00:17.

Comment

Working...
        X