Windows 7 Guest Freezes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Guest Freezes

I'm using a Windows 7 64-bit guest on a Vista 64-bit host via VMWare Server 2 to write 64-bit .NET 4 tools in VS2010, and the guest OS keeps freezing up on me.

Just trying to figure out if it's a VMWare issue or VS2010RC issue.

Unfortunately I don't have a Hyper-V 2008 server available to me to see if the same lock-ups happen using different VM technology.

If someone else does, or had similiar problems running Windows 7 64-bit on VMWare, I'd be glad to hear about it.

Re: Windows 7 Guest Freezes

Maybe this can help?

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=1011709
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Maybe it could, if I could read it.

Is their KB down, cos all I get a 502 Proxy Error from their server saying it could not handle request.

Doing a search on 1011709 showed an article titled:

"VMware KB: Disabling SVGA drivers installed with VMware Tools on..."

With a link to http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1011709

Clicking on that link redirects me to:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=1011709

Which gives me the same 502 error.

Comment

Doing a Google search got me to a different site that has a copy of the article, so my understanding is that I should not use the SVGA drivers when I install the VMWare Tools on the guest OS.

OK. That's good to know.

So I tried creating a new VM, but it freezes during the user password part, before I've even finished installing W7, so something else is off.

Seems to occur most frequently when installing Windows 7 Enterprise rather than Windows 7 Professional.

Going to switch to VMWare Player 3 to see if that resolves these problems.

Comment

Doublecheck to be sure Windows 7 (and Windows 2008 R2) is supported on your version of VMware Server. This support did not come until recently and crashing/hanging is common with an unsupported guest OS.

Jas
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Yes Jas, you hit the nail on the head.

VMware Server, although it supports Windows Server 2008, doesn't support it very well, or Windows 7.

As I said, I switched to VMware Player, which is the desktop virtualisation system, and I've had no problems with any of my Windows 7 or 2008 VM's.

Personally I feel that it's the ActiveX control used for console operations in VMware Server that's the problem, as the underlying paravirtualisation engine is the same for both Server and Player.

I think this as I started the VM's I had created under Server in Player, and they ran fine.

MS had similar problems running VM's between Virtual Server 2005 and Virtual PC 2007 prior to the service pack releases.

Comment

Originally posted by TokyoBrit View Post
              Yes Jas, you hit the nail on the head.

VMware Server, although it supports Windows Server 2008, doesn't support it very well, or Windows 7.
              It may support 2008, but not 2008 R2 - 2 different operating systems from a compatibility point of view. Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 7 are derived from the same code tree and generally when one is supported, the other will be too.

At this point, I'd suggest VMware Workstation 7 ($) or ESXi 4.0 Update 1 (free)

Jas
              VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

Thanks. I'll take a look.

Wasn't sure whether 2008 R2 was a different beast. It certainly wasn't for 2003... R2 just a more hardened version with additional security and hooks.

I should mention that I'm now also looking at cloud computing providers, such as RackSpace, GoGrid or Amazon EC2.

If all I want to do is spin up a couple of 2008 R2 instances, play about with clustering, and make notes on my findings, I don't really need to invest in the physical hardware to create a virtual platform to do that.

Comment

2003 & 2003 R2 were basically the same from an OS and code tree standpoint whereas 2008 and 2008 R2 are not.

Checkout http://bluelock.com/ They are free right now. I have a VM running out there.

Comment

Working...
                  X