No announcement yet.

ESXi and iSCSI setup for Openfiler

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESXi and iSCSI setup for Openfiler

I've been following 2 of your posts explaining about ESXi/Openfiler/iSCSI.

Unfortunately, I've been having a slightly more difficult time tring to understand all the steps involved even before hitting those pages.

I have successfully installed VMWare's ESXi 4.0 on bear metal machine and Openfiler as a VM on that same PC. There is a 3ware card attached with the associated oem.tgz already applied to ESXi and an (empty) array created already created on it.

What I cannot get is how to get this 'array' (drive) to be seen in Openfiler. The adapter shows up fine in ESXi along with the associated LUNs (There are 2 since they were carved to be under the 2TB-512B limit). How does the Openfiler VM see this?

I'm probably just missing something simple. I never used VMWare's ESXi before, but I do have a general understanding of VMs usage.

Re: ESXi and iSCSI setup for Openfiler

first things first.

Is you openfiler up and running?

How much disk space does it have attached to it?

Did you you create the volumes on the openfiler and export them (iSCSI / NFS)

Have you mounted theses Datastores in your ESXi machine?
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Re: ESXi and iSCSI setup for Openfiler

Please clarify, where does the 3ware card come in to play?
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+ - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.