Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good Linux program to install on 3.5

Hi,

I have my Vmware 3.5 server running like a champ, thanks to the boards. Now I am looking for an easy to use GUI based version of Linux that I can install onto the VM server as a virtual machine of Linux. One that would be compatible with VMWare 3.5. I know they have Redhat, Unbuntu etc, just don't know which version to get. This Linux server would be installed as a virtual machine. Not as a platform to install VMware on top of.

I am awful at remembering the Unix command line options. So would really need a GUI. The last time I used Redhat was like 10 years ago. All that knowledge is gone now.

Re: A good Linux program to install on 3.5

Really, all modern distributions' installation images are easy to walk through. Ubuntu is drop dead simple. CentOS is RedHat without the logo and auto-updating, and is equally simple to install. Those two are my preferences. One would have to have blunt force trauma applied to the head to not be able to successfully install either from the CD images that you can download. Personally, I recommend CentOS since you can say that you've played with what is essentially RedHat. However, nothing's wrong with Ubuntu.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Thanks for the information, I got laid off this week after 15 years, and really need to brush up on more tech. It does sound like CentOS is what I want, does it automatically install a GUI interface. From what I read about Ubuntu it defaults to text based, although you can install the simple GUI later. I am also looking at some type of network attached storage solution. NAS seems really very simple to install, I am just not sure a NAS device can use Windows server file system security protocols. It may just be a dumb drive on the network. SAN does support Windows but I can't find a simple site to build a unit.

One NAS I looked at had a built in print server as well as the storage. Sure would help not having to turn a machine on to print anymore on my home network. I am not sure how Linux works with either unit NAS\SAN. I would think they connect no problem, but the file system format may not be compatible with both Linux and Windows at the same time. I feel really out of my element when it comes to Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by gungadin View Post
        It does sound like CentOS is what I want, does it automatically install a GUI interface. From what I read about Ubuntu it defaults to text based, although you can install the simple GUI later.
        CentOS will install with the Gnome window manager by default. I believe that during the installation you can select if you want the GUI interface or not, but it's definitely a deliberate action that you'd have to perform to not get a GUI. As for Ubuntu, by default it also installs with Gnome, not text based. You can also use Kubuntu if you prefer the KDE window manager, as I do.

I am also looking at some type of network attached storage solution. NAS seems really very simple to install, I am just not sure a NAS device can use Windows server file system security protocols. It may just be a dumb drive on the network. SAN does support Windows but I can't find a simple site to build a unit.
        NAS is just something that presents a share using a network file system, typically either NFS or SMB. You can use any PC case, drop some hard drives into it and install any OS on it that can make NFS or SMB shares. Technically, you could use Windows 95 as a NAS box, but I wouldn't recommend it. I'd recommend using OpenFiler which is an open source OS that is a NAS and SAN system in one; you can provision SMB shares as well as iSCSI LUNs.

One NAS I looked at had a built in print server as well as the storage. Sure would help not having to turn a machine on to print anymore on my home network. I am not sure how Linux works with either unit NAS\SAN. I would think they connect no problem, but the file system format may not be compatible with both Linux and Windows at the same time. I feel really out of my element when it comes to Linux.
        The file system on the NAS unit is irrelevant since the network file system (SMF or NFS) is what the network hosts communicate over. As for SANs, the only thing that matters is that you connect to the LUN with an iSCSI driver on your host. From there, you can do what you want with it on the host as if it was a local drive. You could even create shares from within the OS that connected to the LUN. A bit like playing sock puppets... but it'll work just fine.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Hi,

I have my Vmware 3.5 server running like a champ, thanks to the boards. Now I am looking for an easy to use GUI based version of Linux that I can install onto the VM server as a virtual machine of Linux. One that would be compatible with VMWare 3.5. I know they have Redhat, Unbuntu etc, just don't know which version to get. This Linux server would be installed as a virtual machine. Not as a platform to install VMware on top of.

I am awful at remembering the Unix command line options. So would really need a GUI. The last time I used Redhat was like 10 years ago. All that knowledge is gone now.
          Redhat stopped supporting the desktop distro some time ago. I think the prefered distro is Mandriva now which is RPM based. Alternatively stick to Ubuntu as theres plenty of community support for it and its very easy to use for Linux newbies. Additionally if you do elect for CentOS you can install Gnome or run Xwindows from it which makes life easier. Ubuntu server is the same. The install is shell based but it is very easy to install the GUI on top although it does take some time to pull the binaries from the internet repositorys.

Comment

Thank you guys for all the info. I have my work cut out for me. Using Openfiler to create a SAN device is going to really help me move ahead on a low budget. So many new gadgets not sure which to try first.

Comment

Working...
            X