Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange and VM configration..

All -

I'm running Exchange 2003 SP2 single server. ~700 mailboxes.

This inquiry is two-fold.

Firstly, for those who have configured all roles -- either 2007 or 2010 -- except edge, on the same Virtual Machine, what or rather how did you present HDD's to the VM ?

Previously, in a physical environment ideally you would place logs on a different RAID1 group and the database in (debatable) a RAID10 group. I haven't come across anything online on what is the best practice on how to present HDD's to the OS for an Exchange VM. My backend SAN is running RAID10 across all disks and i plan on carving out a separate dedicated lun for exchange. Should i carve out 2 ? one for OS and the other for store, stm, logs ? (I'm just posting options without any real evidence or intent on implementing them just yet)

Best,

Re: Exchange and VM configration..

Best practices

Performance related to Exchange 2007
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Thanks MAISH, but both articles don't really address my specific concern. I'm really curious to know what VHD setting(s) they have set for a single exchange install on VM. For example, have people carved out a single LUN for the OS, Logs and DB's ? Have people carved out 3 seperate LUN's and presented each as a Virtual Disk ?

Thanks,

Comment

Hboogz,

I too had similar questions when I did my server. I have around 250 mailboxes and did a single server install of Exchange 2007 on a 3.5 ESXi server. I only carved out one LUN from my SAN and it has been running fine. In fact performance is much, much better then the Exchange 2000 install the client was running prior.

Comment

Best Practices and money-no-object you would create two separate Disk Groups (HP vernacular), one for log files and one for data. This would separate I/O over different hard drive spindles.

The logs LUN would be vRAID1 for performance and the data LUN would be vRAID5+ for redundancy.

Again, money-no-object, you would split Exchange roles between VMs. i.e. Edge on one VM, Hub transport on one, etc...

Comment

Thanks All --

I'm going to attach the OS disk to my main VMFS Lun (which is 500 GB and has a max of 10-12 servers) And carve out a new LUN for the logs and DB's.

I'll report back on performance.

Comment

Originally posted by simondrake79 View Post
              Best Practices and money-no-object you would create two separate Disk Groups (HP vernacular), one for log files and one for data. This would separate I/O over different hard drive spindles.

The logs LUN would be vRAID1 for performance and the data LUN would be vRAID5+ for redundancy.

Again, money-no-object, you would split Exchange roles between VMs. i.e. Edge on one VM, Hub transport on one, etc...
              To add onto Simon's scenario where money is no object...

We are currently running exchange 2k3 in a VM with the logs on a R1 lun and the data sitting on a R5 lun. For our exchange 2k7/2k10 upgrade we plan on using the same raid sets, however instead of holding these files in a vmfs we are going to be using RDM's as to use the native SAN snapshot ability for quicker recovery or EMC provides.

Just a little extra .02.

-Jason
              MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Comment

Working...
              X