Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having problem with 2TB max.

Hello,

I have put 6 1TB drives on a raid 10, but when creating a datastore, i can only use 745GB (it says the capacity is 2.73TB). OTOH, if I use only 4 of the drives, I can access 1.8GB.

I have done some googling, and it seems I need to create 2 volumes or partitions, but my raid controller (Perc6I on Dell PowerEdge 2900) doesn't seem to have that ability, and I'm not sure how to get a command line tool to create an ESXi partition. Do I need a linux command line tool or something specificlly from VMWare? Is this more trouble that it is worth? If so, I will return these, and get 8X500GBs.

Re: Having problem with 2TB max.

Is your total number of disks 6 and they are 1TB each???

So if thats right then i would reckon that your free space is right.

You may need to purchase another 2 disks for all 8 to be used.

RAID 10 is a mirrored set that is then striped.

http://www.raid.com/04_01_10.html

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      Is your total number of disks 6 and they are 1TB each???

So if thats right then i would reckon that your free space is right.

You may need to purchase another 2 disks for all 8 to be used.

RAID 10 is a mirrored set that is then striped.

http://www.raid.com/04_01_10.html
      With 6 1 TB disks, I should have 3TB, but I only have 745GB available; yet ESXi still says I have a capacity of 2.73TB. OTOH, if I reduce the disks to 4, I have 1.8TBs. So, going over the 2TB limit is causing a problem.

Comment

My understanding of the RAID 10 setup is that you setup your disks in multiples of 4.

2 disks for mirroring then another 2 disks for the striping.

So your 4TB's are then cut to 2TB's which you are getting when you reduce the disks to 4.

I'm wondering if adding the extra 2 disks is causing a confusion somewhere hence the 745GB available.

Comment

My understanding of the RAID 10 setup is that you setup your disks in multiples of 4.

2 disks for mirroring then another 2 disks for the striping.

So your 4TB's are then cut to 2TB's which you are getting when you reduce the disks to 4.

I'm wondering if adding the extra 2 disks is causing a confusion somewhere hence the 745GB available.
          That is not likely the problem since the Raid controller recognizes it as 2.73 GBs; even the ESXi knows the capacity is 2.73 (it just can't use it).

It is a known issue that 2TB is the limit, so I am trying to figure out how to create multiple partitions less than 2tb.

Comment

Now i get you.

Just done a bit of reading and it looks like when you setup RAID 10 the PERC controller locks you out for some reason.

Have you already done the ESXi install and got it working in production??

Just wondering if its worthwhile blowing the install away then using the Dell setup disks to create the partitions for you.

Comment

Now i get you.

Just done a bit of reading and it looks like when you setup RAID 10 the PERC controller locks you out for some reason.

Have you already done the ESXi install and got it working in production??

Just wondering if its worthwhile blowing the install away then using the Dell setup disks to create the partitions for you.
              No, there is no problem with the raid controller.

Comment

Originally posted by BRader View Post
                No, there is no problem with the raid controller.
                I never said there was a problem with the raid controller.

What are the answers to the other questions i asked.

Comment

I never said there was a problem with the raid controller.

What are the answers to the other questions i asked.
                  I have had it working on this server, but am upgrading hard drives. Blowing it away is no problem as I haven't put any VMs on here yet. I tried to hit Alt-F2, but couldn't get to the command line util to create the partitions.

Comment

Try using the Dell disk or a linix live disk to create them first then run the installer from the VMware CD.

Comment

hi,

just wondering how you have addressed this issue. Am in a similar situation but not hardware/configuration expert. Not sure if there is a way without reconfiguring.

regards

manoj123

Comment

Working...
                      X