Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Hardware requirment for FIRST virtualization setup

Hi,

I have been assigned to setup a first test virtualization setup. we are going to check on VMware View, Citrix XenDesktop (HDX) and Microsoft Hyper-V

on the hardware, i have 2x servers with dual processor and 8GB RAM and have another small server (PE T105-4GB) for management. now the question come to STORAGE

we can't get FC or iSCSI SAN at the moment and looking for lower cost model (test setup). what type storage should i use if i want to see the features of vmotion, etc., ? we would invest ~3k for the storage, after testing we might use them for other network/data storage and go for proper SAN.

Thanks for you help

Re: Basic Hardware requirment for FIRST virtualization setup

You can always load up openfiler onto a PC and used that as a shared storage solution.
    http://www.petri.co.il/use-openfiler-as-free-vmware-esx-san-server.htm
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Thanks Maish,

i have came across the openfiler before for this purpose, but can i get all the features of running a proper SAN? a NO COST product should have some limitation i guess...

my scenario would be run 8-10 VMs and also to use data storage for other network applications. i had a look at the Dell MD3000i, but not seen good reviews

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/stora...rvault-md3000i

what do you think on the above product. btw, it does fit on our budget

Comment

If you want a SAN, drop OpenSolaris on a PC with decent storage. You can use it and it's ZFS file system to provision iSCSI targets, or NFS/CIFS shares as needed. It's quite a product and it's open-source and thus "free" (quotes intentional). To be honest, 3K for a storage device is, IMHO, unreasonably low. You might want to mention that to management... but I understand how that might not be an option.

Get a cheap DL185, drop OpenSolaris on it and call it good.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Hi, the plan was to use a 4TB NAS storage for testing and then use that for FTP data. will NAS device work for me?

Experts are saying that NAS would fit for any virtualization, but i'm eager to know what are the drawback for NAS

Most people choice seems to be openfiler, but i will have a look at opensolaris as well. Thanks

Comment

NAS is just fine for virtualization. There are metrics out there that show CIFS shares produce great speed for hosting virtual hard drives. Better than NFS. Yes, openfiler would be fine as well. I haven't had much experience with it and completely forgot that it too can provision NFS, CIFS and iSCSI units. OpenSolaris would probably be overkill for you.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            -------------------------------
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Thanks all for your input. i will kick start now and let you all know the update soon...

Comment

Working...
              X