No announcement yet.

Greenie here - having problems starting VMware

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenie here - having problems starting VMware

Hi -

Total greenhorn here. If my questions are too dumb, just give me a slap on the wrist and a "now go away or I shall mock you a second time."

I'm not an IT person, just an engineer working on tools that are new to me, so please bear with me. I'm trying to evaluate a client/server tool on a single box, and need VM to do so. So I'm trying to get VMware going. I'm vaguely aware of VM concepts, though haven't used it any.

I have an XP Pro SP3 laptop that I'm using for my host OS (I know this isn't officially support - but from what I read it sounds like it should work). I do have static IP at work; though I do often switch from work to home, thus my IP address changes occasionally - not sure if that's my problem though maybe; if so I'm looking for a workaround. I only need VM in work context though.

I installed VMware Server version 2.0.2 the other day (file VMware-server-2.0.2-203138.exe). However it didn't seem to even attempt to start the web service nor try to install the VMware Server Console. I have no clue why.

E.g. I didn't get the "Warning 253090..." warning during install, that the website didn't start. When I bring up the IIS Web Sites, there is no entry at all for the VMware Management Interface - there is only "Default Web Site". I have no icon indicating that the VMware Server Console is running.

I can open http://localhost:8222, however I don't know what to enter for login and password; I haven't been able to access the console to set up any admin accounts.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Greenie here - having problems starting VMware

You access vmware through the web console. The user name and password are the same username and password you use to log on to the computer with.

Thanks - that works. (though still with no IIS web host service running - guess that's not required?)

I guess is the "VMware Infrastructure Web Access" essentially the same thing as the "VMware Server Console"?

I do not believe the IIS webhost is required. I do not have it on my machine. The web access is how you manage the hosts. I think the separate software console went away with the 2.0 versions.

Correct on both counts - the Vmware server uses an internal Tomcat Engine
          And the Server console was discontinued with version 2.0
          Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
          VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
          MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
          A proud husband and father of 3 girls
          If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!