hi need some clarification on vmware networking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi need some clarification on vmware networking

hi im rajaneesh hope id get the correct clarification for my question my ques is i have installed vmware on the machine running on windows 2003 os ie host os ,in vmware first i have installed windows xp as first guest os and linux os as the second guest os and solariis as the third guest os and before adding the guest i have enabled bridged networking for each guest os so that they can communicate with all os's.But the actual problem is im able to ping all three guest os's from my host os ie win 2003 host m/c but none of my guest os is able to ping my host os what might be the problem .pls give me a clear clarification and steps required to enable communicattion b/w the os's.

One more case is initially when i installed win xp as only guest os in vmware it is pingable both ways from and to the host.But when i installed linux os as second os it started pinging both ways and win xp is not able to ping the host.im in great confusion regarding this issue pls give accurate and correct answer to this question .
    thank u

Re: hi need some clarification on vmware networking

Originally posted by rajaneesh View Post
    But the actual problem is im able to ping all three guest os's from my host os ie win 2003 host m/c but none of my guest os is able to ping my host os what might be the problem.
    Check your host OS's firewall and see if there is any strange rules in it. Turn it off temporarily to see if that helps. If it does, then you can go from there. It does sound strange that XP worked until you installed the linux VM and then only the Linux VM could ping both ways, but it could still be a firewall issue I suppose.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

hi to turn the firewall off for windows host its not linux i could have turned it off if linux was the host but dont know how to turn off firewall in windows host

Comment

Just open up the control panels folder and then open up the Windows firewall control panel. Disable it for all interfaces first and use process of elimination from that point forward to see if it helps any.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

ok can we install two linux os's as guest in vmware and will they communicate

Comment

Originally posted by rajaneesh View Post
            ok can we install two linux os's as guest in vmware and will they communicate
            That's what we're trying to figure out, I thought... ? Since you can't seem to have proper TCP/IP communication I suggested turning off the Windows firewall to see if that had any effect on things. If not, then we know it's not the Windows firewall. If so, then we've narrowed it down.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Working...
            X