Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU usage 100%

Hi,

Few days back we came accross a issue wher one of the cores of a VM is running full 100% load and we can not reboot the VM wih Virtual infrastructure client.

We have ESX 3.5 servers running on Dell 2950 series servers and connected to EMC SAN storage.

My query is:

1. What would the cuase of this issue
    2. How to reboot a VM from comand line.

Thanks in advance,

Re: CPU usage 100%

The cause of the issue is something within the guest. It's maxin out, so it's causing the core on the virtual host to max out.

Assuming you have VMware tools installed (you have vmware tools installed, right?) you could try this command:
    vmware-cmd /vmfs/volumes/volname/vm/vm.vmx stop trysoft

Otherwise, you could do a hard-power off of the guest, using the red "stop" button in vi client
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for ur reply.

Yes VMware tool is installed.

Still I am conused about why one of the core of the guest is taking full 100% load.

If anyone have any knowledge on the same please share with me.

Thanks,

Comment

without knowing anything about the configuration of your guest, i wouldn't know where to start.

however - you should just treat the guest like any normal server and investigate it accordingly.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          without knowing anything about the configuration of your guest, i wouldn't know where to start.

however - you should just treat the guest like any normal server and investigate it accordingly.
          The VM is Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 VM. It has 2 GB of RAM with 2 vCPU.
          Just let me know if you want anymore information.

Comment

Hi ,

Can you just migrate this VM to another host, and check the VM usage and let me know.

Many thanks,
            Vijay.

Comment

Working...
            X