Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VMware ESX server 3i 3.5.0 instalation - existing data lost?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware ESX server 3i 3.5.0 instalation - existing data lost?

Hi Gurus,
    I started installing (build 153875) from CD, i choose my laptop hard disk for installation. In the second step, i removed CD and started my system.
    It took me to configuration screen when system reboots.
    what happend here, I had two operating systems in my laptop and some data in other partition. Did i lost all of my data by trying the VMware ESX server and choosing my hard disk when it asked for select drive??
    Can i cancell everything i did and go back to my previous stage where i had my data.
    Or simply my data gone and i should format complete harddisk??
    Thanks for help.

Re: VMware ESX server 3i 3.5.0 instalation - existing data lost?

chances are, it's gone.

ESX will overwrite your partition table and create a new one.
    It's also not really designed to multi-boot. Oh I'm sure you could, but it would require messing around, some unix/linux knowledge, particular in relation to boot loaders, and would ultimately be an unsupported scenario.

Installing ESX3, or ESX4, is like installing an entire operating system, say you booted off a windows 7 disk and installed that, and let it do automatic partitioning, you'd have the same result.

Does this help ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi tehcamel, Thanks for reply. Iam not really looking for multi boot with ESX. Prior to ESX i had mulitboot and some data in 3 rd partition.
      Per your reply i would assume, all my partitions and data in it gone.
      Is there any last chance of recovering my data, i got almost two years of personal data and unfortunatley, no backup..

Thanks for your reply.

Comment

I've had great success with a tool called GetDataBack.
        in no way would it guarantee however...
        Last edited by tehcamel; 8th December 2009, 21:38.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks tehcamel,
          I will give a try with Getdataback tool and i will come back to you.
          Thanks....

Comment

Working...
          X