Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS3200 storage problem

Hi guys.

I have a problem getting my ESX server to recognise the above storage. When I scan for datastores it will not find the storage array no matter what I try.

Does anybody have any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Re: DS3200 storage problem

is the array on the hardware compatibility list
    is the hba on the hcl ?

Does the ESX OS see the HBA?

you haven't really told us alot about what you've done to troubleshoot this....
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes the array is on the HCL as is the HBA (LSI3444e) and the ESX OS does not see the HBA!

I am thinking it may be something to do with the built in Mega Raid controller conflicting in the BIOS but cannot see any problems there.

I went on a VMWare course (3.5) about 9 months ago and all this is now very hazy!

Comment

could you do 'lspci -vv' and paste the output ?

you may be right regarding the Megaraid:

[quote=http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility]
        NOTE: IDE RAID and SATA RAID are not supported for the VMFS file system.
        NOTE: You cannot simultaneously run devices using the mptscsi driver and ones using the mptscsi_2xx driver.
        NOTE: You cannot simultaneously run devices using the aacraid driver and ones using the aacraid_esx30 driver.
        NOTE: You cannot simultaneously run devices using the megaraid2 driver and ones using the megaraid_sas driver.
        NOTE: SAS 2.0 controllers are supported only with VMware ESX/ESXi 4.0u1 and newer releases. Dual speed(6Gb/s and 3Gb/s) SAS controllers are only supported at 3Gb/s speed with vSphere 4.0 and earlier releases.
        NOTE: ESX 4.0, ESXi 4.0 Embedded and ESXi 4.0 Installable are equivalent products from an I/O device compatibility perspective. In this guide we only explicitly list ESX compatibility information. If a product is listed as supported for ESX, the product is also supported in corresponding versions of ESXi Embedded and ESXi Installable.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

OK I now have the controller showing on my ESX server.

Problem I now have is that its only showing a 20Mb LUN. So.......... I now need to somehow format the DS3200 so that ESX Server will see the 3Tb of storage we have on it!

Cheers
          Ed

Comment

Hello

I've the same problem in my installation. How make you to see the hba in Vmware ?

Thanks

Comment

Problem I now have is that its only showing a 20Mb
              You will have to expose the LUN to the HBA - Use the IBM storage Manager Client
              Maish
              ----------------------------------------------------------
              Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
              VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
              MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
              A proud husband and father of 3 girls
              If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Originally posted by Martywick View Post
                Hello

I've the same problem in my installation. How make you to see the hba in Vmware ?

Thanks
                On the Configuration tab -> Storage Adapters in the Left Column
                Maish
                Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
                VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
                MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
                A proud husband and father of 3 girls
                If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Working...
                X