VMWare Ex2007 but which SAN?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMWare Ex2007 but which SAN?

We are currently embarking on virtulisation of our Exchange environment.

We are running Win2K with Ex2K on ML370 and we are looking at moving over to a HP blade solution with a SAN using ESXi on USB drive inside the blade and then everything else stored on the SAN.

My problem is not sure which SAN to look at have been recommended both the HP Lefthand and the HP MAS solution.

The problem is I can not seem to find any decent information to work out which solution is best for us to go with.

We plan to run 2 Ex 2k7 servers one with mailbox role, the other running the other roles, with ISA publishing the webmail front end to the world.

So I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this

Thanks

Dave

Re: VMWare Ex2007 but which SAN?

Do you still need some information this?

Comment

why exactly do you feel you need a san ? are you using clustered exchange ?

I'm not saying you don't or shouldn't, i'm just querying.. it's a lot more gear to add to your infrastruture, and starts to become a lot more expensive..
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        why exactly do you feel you need a san ? are you using clustered exchange ?

I'm not saying you don't or shouldn't, i'm just querying.. it's a lot more gear to add to your infrastruture, and starts to become a lot more expensive..
        I totally forgot about this thread, so my apolgise in not replying sooner.

We are going with a SAN so we can do vMotion, HA, DRS within VMWare for which we need shared storage.

In the end we have gone with a HP Lefthand SAS solution which will provide the performance we will need, plus better expansion options compared to the HP MSA setup.

We did look at Dell and EMC but as we are a HP house, we decided to stick with the HP san solution as we are using HP blades.

But thanks

Dave

Comment

My fault for resurrecting it!

I'm glad you got something sorted and i hope it goes well for you.

Exchange 2007 is very resource heavy and depending on your environment will probably be some of your biggest VMs! My advice is to sort out your resource allocation for the exchange VMs so it doesnt affect your other VMs and try and create as many VMs as possible for all the roles, rather than plonking them all on two VMs (ESX will be happier and unfortuenately so will Micro$oft)

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by simondrake79 View Post
            My fault for resurrecting it!

I'm glad you got something sorted and i hope it goes well for you.

Exchange 2007 is very resource heavy and depending on your environment will probably be some of your biggest VMs! My advice is to sort out your resource allocation for the exchange VMs so it doesnt affect your other VMs and try and create as many VMs as possible for all the roles, rather than plonking them all on two VMs (ESX will be happier and unfortuenately so will Micro$oft)

Simon
            We will be running two ESXi hosts to start with both with 48Gb ram and dual E5540 CPUs so in terms of processing power should be fine, and we have another project for a webserver, so we are going to use some of that cash to up the memory to either 72 or 96 to maintain the sweet spot for the CPUs

Dave

Comment

Working...
            X