Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation of VM Ware 4.0 EXSI on bare metal...newbie question

Hello,

I have just installed VM Ware EXSI on a test server on bare metal.

Through trial and error, I discovered that you must use the VSphere client to connect remotely to the virtual servers that I created on the test server.

While I think it is a great idea, I just want to make sure that this is a must.

In other words, is it possible to see the virtual servers at the server itself?

Please be gentle, I am a rookie lol, thanks!
    Last edited by ukiltmybrutha; 4th November 2009, 18:22.

Re: Installation of VM Ware 4.0 EXSI on bare metal...newbie question

ukiltmybrutha,

If I am understanding your question correctly, you are currently accessing your ESXi server via the VMware Infrastructure client and seeing a listing of you VM's listed there. From there I am guessing you are launching the "console" to access the servers.

If this assumption is correct, the other way to access the servers directly would be via RDP if dealing with Windows based servers or SSH if dealing with linux based servers.

-Jason
    MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Comment

Originally posted by VWA4 View Post
      ukiltmybrutha,

If I am understanding your question correctly, you are currently accessing your ESXi server via the VMware Infrastructure client and seeing a listing of you VM's listed there. From there I am guessing you are launching the "console" to access the servers.

If this assumption is correct, the other way to access the servers directly would be via RDP if dealing with Windows based servers or SSH if dealing with linux based servers.

-Jason
      Jason,

I think that you are understanding my question. Basically I wanted to verify that there is no way that I can access the virtual servers at the physical server.

I believe this is what you are saying.

Is that the case?

Thanks again!

Comment

Yep, that is it! RDP and SSH.

-Jason
        MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Comment

Originally posted by VWA4 View Post
          Yep, that is it! RDP and SSH.

-Jason
          Thank you!!

Very clear!

Comment

Sorry, I think I can't understand how to use RDP and SSH.
            Is it I can boot/start Virtual Machine (Windows) at the server itself by using RDP?
            Or I have to use RDP to connect server and start the VM?
            Any way to boot my windows at the server itself?

Comment

No. The only way to boot the virtual servers is to use the VI client. You cannot boot the virtual servers from the physical server itself.
              Once the virtual servers are booted and running, you can connect to them via RDP, SSH, etc. depending on what OS they are running.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                No. The only way to boot the virtual servers is to use the VI client. You cannot boot the virtual servers from the physical server itself.
                Once the virtual servers are booted and running, you can connect to them via RDP, SSH, etc. depending on what OS they are running.
                Thank for help
                OMG!!!
                But my project supervisor ask me to do so....
                He said we can boot the VM at the server it-self...
                So sad...

Comment

Working...
                X