VM not not powering off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VM not not powering off

I have esxi 3.5 host with four VMs. One of the VM is BES which needed a reboot. I rebooted it but it never showed up online after 30 minutes. I logged into the VI centre and saw in console the status was "windows is starting up" this remained the same for another 30 minutes. Hence I preferred shutting it off from VI centre. after i pushed power off button it hung at 95% and never turned off.
    I logged into Service console remotely (as Host/Server is miles away from me) thru DRAC to look for PID of the VM so that process can be killed manually. It showed PID of all other three machines but not for the one I am looking for.

VM GURUs please help. I can hold my blackberry clients for one day not more than that. Also i would appreciate needful linux command which could be used in Service console (i donot know linux at all). What ever commands i tried were with the help of Google

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by rajeevsharma; 21st October 2009, 19:00.
    Rajeev

Re: VM not not powering off

Try this http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarge...here-esx-host/
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Thanks for your reply Maish. I just rebooted my esxi 3.5 host and the machine which was stuck on reboot disappeared from the console.
      It is not showing up in the list, only three machines are left. I am not very familiar with this kind of situation. Please help

Thanks
      Rajeev
      Rajeev

Comment

i fixed it but i donot know if that was the correct procedure or not.

I turned off host left it off for 5 minutes and then turned it back on. All machines showed up without any problems. I am writing this if some stuck in this kind of situation can try this and write to me if it worked for them too.

Thanks Maish
        Rajeev
        Rajeev

Comment

You can do in follwoing ways

ESX 3.0 method
          o Login to the service console
          o You can check the VM state by typing “vmware-cmd /<path to VM directory>/server.vmx getstate”
          o Type “ps -ef | grep <virtualmachinename>”
          o The second column is your pid of the vmkload_app of the Virtual Machine, you can also type “ps –eaf” to see all running processes
          o Type “kill -9 <pid>”
          o Check VM state again, it should now be off
          o Type “vmware-cmd /<path to VM directory>/server.vmx start” to power on VM

ESX 3.0 Alternate method
          o Login to the service console
          o Get the vmid of the VM you want to kill by typing “vm-support –x”
          o Kill the VM and generate core dumps and logs by typing “vm-support –X <vmid>”
          o You will be prompted if you want to include a screenshot of the VM, send an NMI to the VM and send a ABORT to the VM, you must answer Yes to the ABORT question to kill the VM. The entire process will take about 5-10 minutes to run. It will create a tar archive in the directory you run it in.

vmware-cmd <vmx config file of VM> stop

Source :-> http://communities.vmware.com/thread/85992

Comment

Working...
          X