Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which to chose? VMware Server or VMware ESXi? What is the difference?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which to chose? VMware Server or VMware ESXi? What is the difference?

Which to chose? VMware Server or VMware ESXi? What is the difference?

tnx

Re: Which to chose? VMware Server or VMware ESXi? What is the difference?

Many differences.
    What do you want to use it for?

ESXi is smaller, and has no linux based console operating system.
    You can get a free ESXi license which works well but has no vmotion capability (and drs, HA etc).

There are some agents that can only be installed on ESX.

I personally prefer ESXi, though some admins are not used to it and are a bit scared from the lack of a console operating system. I find that ESXi on flash with VMFS on SAN is a pretty good solution in many cases.

It is not a decision to take lightly , however, I believe if you buy Vi licenses, you're allowed to run either version with it.
    VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

ESX is a bare metal Hypervisor, which means it installs directly on the hardware with no operating system in between. With ESXi there is no Service console operating system either, which means even a smaller footprint and less of an attack surface. Because this installs directly on hardware it will not work with all computer configuration, it is supported only on the VMware HCL hardware but will work with many other configurations of whiteboxes as well.

Server is an application (like firefox) that you install on your operating system, be it Linux/Windows. the application allows you to run instances of virtual machines on you Host operating system.

As gepeto said
      Many differences.
      What do you want to use it for?
      In general, because ESXi is installed directly on hardware without another layer of an operating system in between, you will receive better performance from ESXi than from Server, that is why it is more suited for large (or numerous) workloads than VMware server.
      Maish
      ----------------------------------------------------------
      Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
      VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
      MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
      A proud husband and father of 3 girls
      ----------------------------------------------------------
      If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Wow, sorry for that, I was convinced the question was: Difference between ESX and ESXi.

Seriously though, Server does NOT compare, and I can't find a single reason why I would want to use it over ESXi, other than perhaps for a testing machine that happens not to work with ESXi.

Now, chosing between ESX and ESXi can be a bit harder than that
        VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

Working...
        X