Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP NEEDED: How to connect Vcenter server to esxi server on workstation

Hello,

OKay, after watching DAN DAVIS video on installing ESXi server on workstation 6.5 and SCSI SAN on a virtual machine, How can I connect Vcenter server ( the one that manages all the ESX servers) if I install it on my PC ( not on VMWARE workstation) Is that possible.

Also please guide me on this:

I have INtel core2duo T7250 which has virtualization technology and windows vista home premium, I want to install the whole Vsphere 4 on it using workstations for evaluation... so I want to install esxi server, scsi san using open filer on vmware workstation 6.5 and want to install vcenter server on my laptop to connect to these virtual machines.... Can I do this?

PLease do help

Regards,
    Rahail Salamat

Re: HELP NEEDED: How to connect Vcenter server to esxi server on workstation

im having trouble trying to work out exactly what you're saying and trying to acheive, you're mixing up terms a little bit.

Overall however, I don't think you can use vCentre to manage ESXi... vCentre is licensed software, and you need a foundation license to use it.. which makes esxi actually ESX...
    Originally posted by http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Virtualization/Q_24080636.html

Technically you can run ESXi with virtual centre server however each ESXi host needs to be licensed to support a VirtualCenter Agent. That means, each ESXi host needs a VI Foundation, VI Standard, or VI Enterprise license. Separately, you need a VirtualCenter Server (VC) license (or VirtualCenter Foundation, if you have <=3 hosts).

So to clear this up:
    "Can ESXi benefit from all Vi3 features, ie vmotion, DRS and HA?"
    Technically yes, however you will be purchasing licenses that you would use if you had installed ESX so why you would want to run ESXi with VC is beyond me.

"If so what licensing do I need to implement this?"
    Explained above.

"Also, when you evaluate Vi3 (ESX3.5 and VC 2.5) do you need to point the ESX hosts at the license server?"
    Yes you do although it is only an evaluation license you still need to have the VC agents on the ESX server and as such will need to have them pointed at the VC server.

Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Overall however, I don't think you can use vCentre to manage ESXi... vCentre is licensed software, and you need a foundation license to use it.. which makes esxi actually ESX...
      If you have everything installed in Evaluation mode then you can manage it all. And it still stays ESXi and not ESX.

I have INtel core2duo T7250 which has virtualization technology and windows vista home premium, I want to install the whole Vsphere 4 on it using workstations for evaluation... so I want to install esxi server, scsi san using open filer on vmware workstation 6.5 and want to install vcenter server on my laptop to connect to these virtual machines.... Can I do this?
      What OS is your laptop?

Here is the compatibility Matrix
      Maish
      ----------------------------------------------------------
      Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
      VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
      MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
      A proud husband and father of 3 girls
      If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Maish,

I have Windows Vista Home premium on my laptop.... I am installing esx server. I want to connect and manage this esx server (on a vmware workstation) from vcenter server.. can I install vcenter server on windows vista on my laptop and manage esx server installed on vmware workstation 7????

Thanks,
        Rahail

Comment

Yes you can.

all you need to make sure is that you have connectivity to the ESX Servers and your vCenter server from the management station
          Maish
          Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
          VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
          MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
          A proud husband and father of 3 girls
          If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maish View Post
            Yes you can.

all you need to make sure is that you have connectivity to the ESX Servers and your vCenter server from the management station

Thanks a million Maish... for answering the question. you rock!!!

Comment

Working...
            X