Backup Solutions for ESXi/vSphere 4?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup Solutions for ESXi/vSphere 4?

I know this has been beaten to death (I found many threads on the subject). However the ones most people liked (esXpress and veeam) no longer support ESXi since VMWare asked their 3rd party developers to remove ESXi support (not sure why they'd want that?)

That being said, the only thing I've found is something like ghettoVCB or another script that runs on the ESXi host.

Can anyone fill me in on any details I might be missing? Or solutions that still work from 3rd party vendors?

Re: Backup Solutions for ESXi/vSphere 4?

If you are talking about the free version of ESXi then you are correct.

What you have mentioned about GhettoVCB is more or less what you will need to use to back up your VM's if they are on local storage.

The vSphere Essentials bundle costs ~$1,000 for the basic edition with a vcenter and 6 cpu licenses for ESX - which might be worth your while
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Mindflux, esXpress never supported ESXi to start with.

Veeam only dropped support for free ESXi per VMware request, but not for licensed ESXi. So if you buy VMware Essentials for $999 (which lets you deploy up to 3 ESXi hosts and 6 CPU sockets), you will be able to use Veeam Backup with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Maish View Post
        If you are talking about the free version of ESXi then you are correct.

What you have mentioned about GhettoVCB is more or less what you will need to use to back up your VM's if they are on local storage.

The vSphere Essentials bundle costs ~$1,000 for the basic edition with a vcenter and 6 cpu licenses for ESX - which might be worth your while
        How does the free version and pay version of ESXi differ? I'm assuming it unlocks some features, but from what I gathered ESX and ESXi were essentially the same except for a service console and VCB?

If I bought the vSphere Essentials license, would it be better to run ESX over ESXi?
        Last edited by Mindflux; 9th October 2009, 13:58.

Comment

Essentials will enable you to these features below

As to your other question - it depends (as always).
          VMware have declared that they will be moving to the ESXi type Hypervisor (without COS) in the future - but at the moment - there are many things that need to be installed on the host (for example hardware monitoring Agents) that cannot be done on ESXi so not everyone will be moving in that direction yet.
          Maish
          Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
          VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
          MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
          A proud husband and father of 3 girls
          If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maish View Post
            Essentials will enable you to these features below

As to your other question - it depends (as always).
            VMware have declared that they will be moving to the ESXi type Hypervisor (without COS) in the future - but at the moment - there are many things that need to be installed on the host (for example hardware monitoring Agents) that cannot be done on ESXi so not everyone will be moving in that direction yet.

According to this, I need Essentials Plus to get 'data recovery'?

Yes, I ran into the problem with ESXi where I could not install my MegaRAID storage manager agent on the host (so I could monitor/configure/etc) my raid card without rebooting. It would be nice to be able to have that. Looks like the only way to do that presently is with ESX.

Comment

I was evaluating backup our for ESX3.5 and vSphere 4 environment 2 weeks ago. I picked vDCR backup v2 over Veam and Ranger. I am not sure if it supports ESXi but it supports vSphere 4. http://www.ardeologic.com
              Their pricing was similar but backups/restores run much faster so we picked it.

Good luck with your project!
              Just my 2 cents, Sam

Comment

Working...
              X