Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VI3 upgrade to vSphere

Hi All,

I'm planning on upgrading our VMware environment to vSphere. We currently have two sites. Site A with 5 blades running fully patched versions of ESX3.5 Update 4 and Site B with 3 blades running fully patched versions of ESX3.5 Update 4. We also have a Virtual Center Server Version 2.5.

What do you think of my high level upgrade plan and is there gotcha's that I need to watch out for:

1. Create new vCentre 4.0 server and add all ESX 3.5 hosts into the new vCentre and ensure Update manager is working etc
    2. Remove Virtual Centre server 2.5
    3. Migrate all running VM's from one blade on Site B to the other two blades
    4. Rebuild as vSphere
    5. Migrate VM's back on vSphere blade and update VMtools if needed.
    6. Continue process until all baldes in Site B have been updated
    7. Perform same step process on Site A to rebuild all blades as vSphere
    8. Rebuild VCB server as latest version for vSphere

Once again, this is very high level but is there any issues with the order of the steps involved?
    Is there anything that I need to watch out for?

We will have all the required license keys before starting for vSphere. Were also planning on implementing SRM but that's another thread

Thanks

Michael
    Last edited by m80arm; 6th October 2009, 14:06.
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: VI3 upgrade to vSphere

Hi Michael - a few comments to help you out on the way

1. Create new vCentre 4.0 server and add all ESX 3.5 hosts into the new vCentre
    and ensure Update manager is working etc
    You do realize that you will lose all historical data, and will have to recreate permissions and folder structure that exist in your current tree.

This can be automated, but perhaps a upgrade for your environment from 2.5 -> 4 could be better.

Which Server OS and SQL version will you be using for the new vCenter Server?

2. Remove Virtual Centre server 2.5
    Check that you have the appropriate licenses already from VMware for your new environment.

Remember that the licensing model has changed - the licensing server changed as well when moving to vSphere. Make sure that the new licensing server is serving your 3.5 ESX hosts, before removing the old vcenter server.
    5. Migrate VM's back on vSphere blade and update VMtools if needed.
    This will be a step you will need to do for sure. After you have updated the tools on the VM's and all your ESX hosts have been updated you should upgrade the Virtual machine version of all your VM's

Here is a link to a presentation that might help you out from a VMUG meeting that we had a few months ago regarding upgrades.

Let me know if you have any more questions
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Thanks Maish,

After looking into vCentre yesterday it does make more sense to upgrade. So I'm probably just going to clone the existing 2.5 server and backup the database and shutdown the test server for back up. Using the clone I will uninstall 2.5 and install 4.0 pointing it back to the original Database for both virtual center and updates.

This make more sense?

Thanks

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Sounds like a good plan
        Maish
        Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
        VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
        MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
        A proud husband and father of 3 girls
        If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Working...
        X