Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stuck with ESX 3.5 installation

hi mates,

I am stuck with the installation of ESX 3.5 and I desperately need your advice. i tried to install ESX 3.5 on bare metal (on my Laptop for testing and learning purpose only) and at the very begining screen of "welcome to the ESX server 3.5 installer" i got an error message stating "The installer was unable to find any supported network devices. Press "OK" to reboot the system " . i also tried installing it the other way, on a hosted hyperviser using VMware workstation 6.5 but in vain and i got the same error message. can u please let me know how i can get around the problem. the network connection settings i used were" bridged: connected directly to the physical network and i also checked the box- replicate physical network connection state"and i have seen all other alternative settings that are available on that screen. please let me get through this.

cheers

Re: stuck with ESX 3.5 installation

ESX needs to be installed on hardware that is on the compatability guide. Have a look at the following:

http://www.vmware.com/resources/comp...ient=firefox-a

Hope this helps

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

thanks Michael, i understood that my Laptop hardware is not supported by ESX server. cheers

Comment

It is mostly not supported

I did manage to get it working as you can see on my blog post
        Maish
        ----------------------------------------------------------
        Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
        VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
        MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
        A proud husband and father of 3 girls
        ----------------------------------------------------------
        If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Originally posted by jdsony View Post
          hi mates,

I am stuck with the installation of ESX 3.5 and I desperately need your advice. i tried to install ESX 3.5 on bare metal (on my Laptop for testing and learning purpose only) and at the very begining screen of "welcome to the ESX server 3.5 installer" i got an error message stating "The installer was unable to find any supported network devices. Press "OK" to reboot the system " . i also tried installing it the other way, on a hosted hyperviser using VMware workstation 6.5 but in vain and i got the same error message. can u please let me know how i can get around the problem. the network connection settings i used were" bridged: connected directly to the physical network and i also checked the box- replicate physical network connection state"and i have seen all other alternative settings that are available on that screen. please let me get through this.

cheers
          If you are going to install Esx 3.5 in vmware workstation, you need to choose Redhat 64 bit version.and also check in bios VT is enable.and please let me know if you facing any issue.

Comment

If you are going to install Esx 3.5 in vmware workstation, you need to choose Redhat 64 bit version.and also check in bios VT is enable.and please let me know if you facing any issue.[/QUOTE]

Comment

You cannot install in your laptop as per compatability its required SCSI , its not avilable so its giving error.

Best option :

Install OS on laptop.

install vmware workstation.

Select other linux.

Install ESX on vmware workstation.

then you will get same error " "The installer was unable to find any supported network devices. Press "OK" to reboot the system ""

Here you have to modify some setting in VMX file as ethnet card. eg .. e000..

then you install it will install and you can testing and learn on this ESX.

How to install :-> http://xtravirt.com/xd10074

Comment

hi ramesh,

thanks for the suggestion and sorry for the delay in replying. i have done exactly what you said, but in vain. it has given me the same error and i have edited the vmx file and tried to reboot the system. but it says different ethernet drivers found. i lost my hope and gave it up.

cheers

Comment

hi mail2vijay1982,

thanks for the suggestion and sorry that i couldn't reply you. i have got an interview tomorrow. so i will retry to install it with your suggestions on day after tomorrow and let you know what happens. all of you who replied me, please forgive me that i didn't reply back. sorry.

cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X