Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup for our mixed 19 ESX3.5 / vSphere4 hosts

Hi,
    I've been lurking on Petri for many years and it always helped! Kudos for such a great site and forum! Finally I have something to ask about.

I've been tasked to develop and deploy a backup for my company. It's my first backup project of this size, and would love some help from experts.

It's production environment (mixed 17 ESX 3.5 and 2 vSphere 4 servers with 314 VMs, aprox 100 TB of SAN (in 2 data centers), iSCSI only).
    Client specs: single vendor for all hosts/data centers, agentless, Disk->disk->tape, 90 days on disk retention tapeless restore, SAN to SAN backup only.

I got trial versions and tested 3 programs:
    vDCR/ ardeologic.com, Veeam/ veem.com and VRanger/ vizioncore.com

Basically I had to rule out VRanger because I just could not get it to work and backup all VMs on one host without failures. I have a lot of respect to Quest's products but this was a big disappointment for me. NO phone support for trial! Common!

I was impressed with vDCR. Overall it was doing the fastest backups and supports both VCB for ESX3.5 and vStorage for vSphere. Also does differential backups. But fairly new product, I must admit support was excellent!

I used Veeam often in the past on smaller sites. Nothing new features wise. All default settings, VSS enabled. I hit a surprising road block with large file server VMs. Veeam would slow down by close to half the starting speed on large VMs and occasionally fails beyond 500GB or so with

Error: "snapshot creation failed: Operation timed out. An error occurred, cleaning up".

Did anyone notice the slowdown too and found a resolution? Are there best practices for speeding it up on large VMs?

Thanks in advance!
    Sam

Re: Backup for our mixed 19 ESX3.5 / vSphere4 hosts

Originally posted by cartsrs View Post

I used Veeam often in the past on smaller sites. Nothing new features wise. All default settings, VSS enabled. I hit a surprising road block with large file server VMs. Veeam would slow down by close to half the starting speed on large VMs and occasionally fails beyond 500GB or so with
    I spent months and months working on this issue with veeam, it would occur intermittently, and we never got a solution. eventually we made them refund the license fee. I'm not abig fan of it.

vRAnger I've found to be fantastic. Want to tell me a little more about the vranger isseus you've had ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: Backup for our mixed 19 ESX3.5 / vSphere4 hosts

Good morning Tehcamel,
      Yes, I would love some help.

VRanger Pro
      I had three primary issues:
      1. Slows down and fails on large VMs. Average speed would start at about 100gb/h and slows down to 30GB/h before failing on VMs over 500GB.
      2. Error "backup: 'phys:/vmfs/volumes/4........." failed, Reason: FATAL invalid_uuid invalid uuid format.
      3. No phone support during evaluation, Email was ok but recommendation was "It will be fixed int he upcoming update". I liked Vranger as it is the oldes product, I think since mid 2000's.
      How is Ranger's support after purchasing?

Veeam Backup
      Thanks for sharing your Veeam experience. I will pass it too.
      Support:
      I submitted "Sev 2" support ticket on www.veam.com/support.html
      and got real person in 6 hours, kinda longish.

vDCR Backup
      Did you use VDCR backup? It worked for me, and the only one out of three that worked out of the box. Backup speed was about 220gb/h and finished at about 180gb/h. MMC interface was much simplier and easier. Reminded me about Citrix 4.5/5 consoles, which is a good thing for me.
      Support
      I submitted none-sev support ticket on website
      http://www.ardeologic.com/www01/Support/
      and got a call back in 10 minutes. Similar to Equallogic support, a good thing for me.

We use IBM xserver and Dell blades as VMware hosts. I ran my tests on IBM M2 and x3850 (with 8/16 cores) servers with QLA4052C iscsi HBAa (both channels active) for testing. Windows 2003 x64 as VCB proxy on dedicated LAN for iSCSI network.

Did you see the same vranger problem? What is your recommendation for a large VMware deployment backup/restore?
      Thanks
      Sam

Comment

Working...
      X