VMWARE ESXi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMWARE ESXi

New member - wanted to say Hi! with a post.

I am new to using VMware ESXi 3.5 for the most part I have got couple of Windows VM up and running. I am looking for some information for adding UPS support to both the Host and the guests. Want to be able to gracefully shutdown the host and the guests in case of power outage?

Maria

Re: VMWARE ESXi

Welcome to the site Maria. Perhaps you should take a few minutes to familiarise yourself with the forum rules...

Flagged for move to correct forum.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I can't help you with the host but as far as the guests are concerned, if you have a UPS with a network card and there's a companion application that you can install on the guests (like APC PowerChute Network Shutdown) the guests and the UPS should be able to communicate over the network.

Comment

I may be a novice here but would'nt the host ( if not UPS aware ) will loose power in an event of a power outage, which will bring the guests down regardless of the communication between the guests and the UPS?

Thanks,
        Maria

Comment

No, the UPS will detect the loss of power and communicate that over the network to the guests. As long as the UPS continues to supply power to the host it doesn't matter if the host is aware of the UPS or not.

Comment

Don't forget to protect the physical network infrastructure between the UPS and servers as well as the VM hosts themselves.
            Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
              Don't forget to protect the physical network infrastructure between the UPS and servers as well as the VM hosts themselves.
              And any KVM and monitor as well, so you'll have access to the systems in the event of a power outage.

Comment

Thanks.
                Does any one have suggestions on reasonable network aware UPS's?? UPS which supports a network card/adpater? Since it is for a server will need at least 1500VA.

Maria

Comment

I recommend APC. If you go to their website, they have a tool which will recommend models to you and tell you the runtime you'll get from each one. Then on the model listings, you'll see which of them support management cards - the vast majority do.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                  X