Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding vmware software

Hello Sir/Madam,

I am navneet goel here. I am new to vmware concept. I have some doubts, so pls clarify my doubts.

1) Exactly what is virtual machine
    2) How many virtual machine can be created in a single physical system

Pls reply soon. I will be highly thankful for you.

Thanks & Regards,
    Navneet Goel

Re: Regarding vmware software

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_machine

A virtual machine is a software implementation of a machine

As for your second question... how long is a piece of string? Your physical hardware will dicate the limit. As will the load each of your VMs places on that hardware. As will the hypervisor you use.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks a lot for ur reply. Can u pls tell me answer for the second question with more explanation.

Also some more below questions I am having. So pls tell me the answer for these also.

3) We want to know the exact use of vmware vcenter server and vmware vsphere. Also how can we use both of them seperately. Means we want to know the installation steps and other configuration settings for both of these softwares.

4) Also can we create virtual machines in more than one physical machine. If so then how exactly the vmware vcenter server manages all these virtual machines.

Pls reply soon. We will be highly thankful to u................

Comment

Seems you need to spend a bit of time with Google

As for your second question... "better" hardware will support more concurrent VMs in general. VMs which place a heavier load on the system will require gruntier hardware to deliver the required performance. Just like adding more memory to your PC makes it run a bit faster...
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by navneet.tech2009 View Post
          Thanks a lot for ur reply. Can u pls tell me answer for the second question with more explanation.

Also some more below questions I am having. So pls tell me the answer for these also.

3) We want to know the exact use of vmware vcenter server and vmware vsphere. Also how can we use both of them seperately. Means we want to know the installation steps and other configuration settings for both of these softwares.
          vcenter is the management server that allows you to group your ESX hosts into logical entities (Datacenters and Cluster) Thesse clusters will be the redundancy boundaries of your ESX hosts.

Having a vcenter on its own without ESX it like having a gas with no car.

You can use the ESX server separately, but once you have the licenses for vcenter it makes much more sense to use the vCenter to centrally manage all your ESX hosts.

4) Also can we create virtual machines in more than one physical machine. If so then how exactly the vmware vcenter server manages all these virtual machines.
          yes you can, but a virtual running machine will not reside one more than one host (except for "Fault Tolerance"). That is what vCenter does - all data is stored in an SQL database

2) How many virtual machine can be created in a single physical system
          Like a good technical should always be - "IT DEPENDS"
          - depends on how many/fast the CPU's are
          - depends on how much RAM
          - depends on the workload of the VM's
          - in short - it depends
          Maish
          ----------------------------------------------------------
          Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
          VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
          MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
          A proud husband and father of 3 girls
          ----------------------------------------------------------
          If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

you can run a total of 32 individual virtual guests on each physical host.

when you consider that VMware server has the following minimum specs:
            2 x Intel Xeon P3 700Mhz processors
            512MB RAM
            2 ethernet contorllers

that's a pretty good output, don't you think ?

with regards to your other questions about exactly how to install and configur both vSphere and vCentre, if you wanted to contract my employer, i'd be happy to attend your organisation and provide deployment planning and support for your infrastructure...
            Of course, all I'd do is bring in the vmware documentation, sit down, put it on a project, and scroll through the pages as you read it, answering questions when necessary.

A much more cost effective way for you to acheive your goals, would be to go away, read the documentation and get the beginnings of some understandings, then come back and ask some specific questions, and I'd be pleased to help for nothing. However - if you want to be walked through step by step and have your hand held, well, that's where the above comes in.
            Last edited by tehcamel; 15th September 2009, 08:52.
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
            X