Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why can't i add a 64 Bit guest OS on Intel CPU that supports virtualization ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't i add a 64 Bit guest OS on Intel CPU that supports virtualization ?

Hie,

I've bought a new computer with the intent of running virtual 64 Bit guest OS on VMWare server or Hyper-V.
    I checked before buying on the Intel site and with the supplier if the CPU (Intel Q8400) and the motherboard (Intel DG45FC) support virtualization, and according to them it does.

At first I installed on the PC Windows server 2008 64 Bit enterprise with Hyper-V because I'm used to working with MS Virtual server 2005.
    When I tried to add a new guest OS (Server 2008 64 bit) to Hyper-V, it gave me a "blue screen of death".
    After several attempts to add a 64 bit guest OS on Hyper-V without success, I removed Hyper-V and installed VMWare server.
    On VMWare I tried again to add 64 bit guest OS Server 2008 and it didn't work. After that I tried 64 bit Server 2003 and it couldn't be done also.

I've downloaded a tool from the Intel site that gives information about the hardware and it also indicates that the hardware supports virtualization.
    I've run the tool from VMWare that checks if the hardware supports virtualization of 64 bit guest OS and it shows that it DOESN'T !!

I'm now considering returning the computer to the supplier and asking for a different hardware.
    1. Can any one tell me why doesn't my hardware support virtualization of 64 Bit guest OS ?
    2. Can any one help me with selecting a suitable configuration of hardware that will definitely support virtualization of 64 Bit OS, since the information on the Intel site didn't help ?
    Thanks.

Re: Why can't i add a 64 Bit guest OS on Intel CPU that supports virtualization ?

Is virtualization enabled in the BIOS?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Re: Why can't i add a 64 Bit guest OS on Intel CPU that supports virtualization ?

Yes, virtualization is enabled in the BIOS.

Any way, i think that the tool from VMWare that checks if i have the proper hardware should say that "I need to enable virualization in BIOS" if it's not.

Comment

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vmserver2.pdf

VMware Server hosts must meet the following requirements:
        �� Standard x86‐compatible or x86‐64‐compatible server with up to 16 processors.
        Hosts with 32‐bit IA‐32 processors and IA‐32 processors with 64‐bit extensions are
        supported.
        Compatible processors include:
        �� Intel Xeon:
        �� Dual‐Core, including 5000‐series (Dempsey), 5100‐series (Woodcrest),
        3000‐series (Conroe), 7000‐series (Paxville MP), and 7100‐series (Tulsa)
        �� Quad‐Core, including 5300‐series (Clovertown)
        �� Intel Core 2, including E6300, E6400, E6600, and E6700 (Conroe), Q6600
        andQ6700/E (Kentsfield), and E4300 (Allendale) Series
        �� AMD Opteron 1000/2000/8000 series (Santa Ana, Santa Rosa)
        �� AMD Opteron 100/200/800 series (Venus, Troy, Athens, Denmark, Italy, Egypt)
        �� AMD Athlon 64 (Clawhammer, Newcastle, Winchester, Venice, San Diego,
        Orleans, Lima)
        �� AMD Athlon 64 X2/X2 (Manchester, Toledo, Windsor, Brisbane)
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

based on Jason's post - it looks as if your particular processor cannot cope with VMWare server and x64.

Just because the vendor and the distributor tells you the processor supports virtualisation, doesn't mean the hardware is supported by the software vendor (if that makes sense)

It's like the hardware vendor saying "yes, this processor supports windows" - sure, it might support windows, but that doesnt mean it supports Windwos 2008, it might only support windows 98 (if you get my drift ?)

also - with WSX (and i know you're talkin about vmware-server and hyperv) there is a specific option in the bios (and it wasn't the VT option iirc) that we needed to enable on a PE 2900 to get the x64 bit to work
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
          X