Adding a 4 port GbE card to a VMWARE server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a 4 port GbE card to a VMWARE server

Hello everyone, just signed up today. I will be grateful if someone can guide me on my first steps on virtualization.

I am building a machine to work as a VMWARE ESXi server (ESXi 4.0) ... and I want to put 6 GbE ports on it ... since the motherboard only has two, and the installation doesn't ask for additional drivers, I have read that it has to be installed via the remote Command line interface ... I admit I am a dummy, though I understand the logic of Linux.

So, in short, questions:

1. Can I run a CLI to manage an ESXi 4.0 server on Windows? or do I need a Linux machine (if so, I can install one on my machine as a VM on VMWare Workstation). I have tried installing from the windows management client, but it seems it needs to be done from a command line interface ...

2. Is there an appliance to do this anywhere?

Thanks for your invaluable help on this.

Nelson Reyes

Re: Adding a 4 port GbE card to a VMWARE ESXi 4.0 server

Originally posted by NelsonReyes View Post
    1. Can I run a CLI to manage an ESXi 4.0 server on Windows?
    I believe you can access the ESXi console via SSH (once enabled - Google if you don't know how). In which case, you just need a Windows SSH client (with a hint on what to search for )
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Re: Adding a 4 port GbE card to a VMWARE server

You cannot install new drivers for the network, they are either recognized by the ESXi OS or not

Look for something that is on the HCL
      Maish
      ----------------------------------------------------------
      Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
      VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
      MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
      A proud husband and father of 3 girls
      ----------------------------------------------------------
      If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Use intel NICs and you`ll be fine... And look trough HCL as Maish said...

Comment

VMware has a remote command line client software package for Windows, Linux, and also has a virtual machine.

http://www.vmware.com/download/vi/dr...RM=MSNH11&qs=n

Comment

Thanks all for your suggestions.

The card I want to add IS on the HCL for ESX and ESXi 4.0. This particular answer is, it seems, what I was looking for. I'll try it.
            Last edited by NelsonReyes; 4th September 2009, 22:42.

Comment

You need the RCLI or even better these days the vMA to remotely manage ESXi hosts. RCLI comes in 2 flavors: Virtual Appliance and Installable package for Windows.

Jas
              VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
              boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
              My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
              X