VMware workstation question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware workstation question

I am brand new to VMware and am wondering if this is possible: I would like to setup a practice domain entirely in Virtual machines. I would like to have (at start) one Domain Controller (Server 200 and three Virtual machines tied to it all with the ability to communicate. My question is, is this possible? To have a Virtual domain. I appreciate any help with this, thank you very much.

Re: VMware workstation question

Please, a little help.

Comment

Yes, it's possible. It's the same as setting up a real domain. If you're going to use DHCP in the virtual domain make sure that the ip addressing scheme of the virtual domain doesn't conflict with your real domain. Other than that, there's nothing special that needs to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
        If you're going to use DHCP in the virtual domain make sure that the ip addressing scheme of the virtual domain doesn't conflict with your real domain
        And that the virtual network isn't directly connected to the physical network.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          And that the virtual network isn't directly connected to the physical network.
          I'm not sure why that would be a problem? I've got two different virtualized domains running on the same physical network using the same ip address range as my production network. I don't run DHCP in either of the virtualized domains, so there's never been any conflicts. I track ip address assignments with a spread sheet so I know what addresses are assigned where.

Any insight on something I might be missing?

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
            Any insight on something I might be missing?
            Yes - the fact that you don't run DHCP

If you run 2 DHCP servers on the same physical network without any form of separation, with different IP ranges configured on each, you won't be able to easily control which DHCP server each client talks to. My point was in addition to the point you'd already made about using DHCP in the virtual environment
            Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

True. Thanks for the reinforcement.

Comment

No worries

That's not to say that it can't be done - for instance, DHCP on Windows Server can with an add-in be configured to only deal out IP addresses to a pre-configured list of known clients. But it makes life so much more complex. Best just to avoid it and save the hassle
                Gareth Howells

Comment

I appreciate the reply's. This is for a home setup strictly for practicing purposes. There isn't a physical domain at play here. Everything will be done virtually.

Would it be better to install Server 2008 on the Host and the Operating Systems into VMs, or install Server 2008 and the OS's in VMs.

This is where I am getting stuck as to what is the best practice.

Thanks again.

Comment

I'd virtualise the DC too, if this is for a lab. The only time I would install VMs on a physical DC is if I were using Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-V (while I have used Virtual Server and VMware Server before, I would avoid using those on a DC).
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

Virtualize everything with VMware. If you run into a problem, we'll go from there.
                      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
                      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
                      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks guys. I bought VMWare Workstation today and my TechNet Subscription was also delivered today. I will begin building a Team this weekend to virtualize my test domain.

I will create a new post if I run into any problems.

Comment

Working...
                        X