Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

noob - esxi to protect against hardware failure?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob - esxi to protect against hardware failure?

I'm wanting to use ESXi 4 (or latest) as a host OS, and 2008 Server as a guest OS.

Can I use vmware esxi as a form of protection against hardware failure? For example, if the hardware fails in my main server (2008 guest), can I just move the guest vm to a new server hardware with esxi installed? Are HAL problems relevant?

How would I move the guest OS to a new server? Can I just install esxi and transplant the RAID 1 system into the new server, then copy the guest OS vm to the new server?

Also, can I install a SCSI controller and tape drive in the 2008 guest?

Thanks for any help.

Re: noob - esxi to protect against hardware failure?

Originally posted by multiplexed View Post
    Also, can I install a SCSI controller and tape drive in the 2008 guest?
    No, VMs can't see local tape drives etc. They're generally unaware of the specifics of their host's hardware.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Re: noob - esxi to protect against hardware failure?

Originally posted by multiplexed View Post
      Can I use vmware esxi as a form of protection against hardware failure? For example, if the hardware fails in my main server (2008 guest), can I just move the guest vm to a new server hardware with esxi installed? Are HAL problems relevant?
      The short answer is yes you can move a VM between ESXi servers. To do so you will need to make backups of the "guest" VM vmdk files. Once you have these file written to some type of media you can import the VM on a different/new ESXi host server. There will not be any issues in regards to the HAL as the VM's virtual hardware will look the same on either ESXi server.

-Jason
      MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Comment

Working...
      X