Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice if I should convert a server to a virtual machine

Hi,

My company bought out a company recently and now I have to manage a new server. The server is windows 2000 server that is getting fairly old now (not sure exact age of server). There are no more than 10 users accessing the server. It is running out of hard drive space and sometimes the tape backup drive acts up. This server does a bunch of different jobs. The server is running exchange server 2000, a blackberry server for a couple users, ms sql server (I think 2003?) for some accounting software and it is also a file server.

I was thinking of replacing it with a windows 2008 server but that would mean buying all new server software and office 2007 to connect to exchange 2007. Than I would need to migrate data to the new server. I have a some experience with migrating right now as I have setup a test lab to try things out using virtualbox.

So I have also been thinking about converting the windows 2000 server to a virtual machine and running vmware or other virtual machine software on a new server and using the image from the old server.

So my question is, would converting the server to a virtual machine and running it that way be a good idea? It would save a lot of money in software. Does any one have any pro's and con's to this type of idea or would getting a new server be the best option?

Thanks for all the help.

Re: need advice if I should convert a server to a virtual machine

I'd say it's definitely worth seriously considering. By virtualising it you are basically renew it's hardware without having to rebuild the server so if that's all that is wrong with it, I'd go for it.

You could even virtualise it and migrate the roles across to other virtual machines on the same hardware before decommisioning the existing server.
    This message represents the official view of the voices in my head

Comment

If I do virtualize the server should I be concerned about security updates for windows 2000 or anyother software that might be past end of support?

Should I look into something like vmware esx or esxi or go with something like vmware server?

Thanks

Comment

As with any server OS, you should patch as far as possible
        OK, virtual lets you reset it to a previous state but then you lose data

Anyone know the status of an OEM license (comes with a physical server) if you virtualise it -- does it transfer to the virtual "hardware" or is it tied to the original physical box?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

OEM licences are tied to the hardware they were sold with (whether that be a server/computer or a 'non-peripheral' component). It's really a false economy trying to save money by buying OEM.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
            OEM licences are tied to the hardware they were sold with (whether that be a server/computer or a 'non-peripheral' component). It's really a false economy trying to save money by buying OEM.

So basicly I can't virtualize the server because the license is tied to the hardware. So I guess I am stuck buying all new software?

Comment

If the current licence for Windows 2000 server is an OEM licence, then yes, it can only be installed on the hardware it was supplied with. If it's a retail licence, then you can move it to another server or virtualise it.

In any case though, given the age of Windows 2000 and the fact that it's no longer supported, I would advise you to look into upgrading.
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
              X