VMWARE newbie licenceing question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMWARE newbie licenceing question

I have used and using VMWARE server etc but I have never setup one from the scratch?

I have bought a second hand server with licence windoes server 2003 key.

Its meets all the specs requiremet for ESX or ESXi

to setup download ESXi from vmware install it on the server and use my 2003 server key as the guest inside that.

and to manage I need to use VMI client . what other licenceing i need to buy to run just one 2003 server on this setup? i will be buying more guest licence but that's later.

so far i need/ have

Copy of VMWARE ESXi --- free

Licence copy of 03 server ---- paid
    VMI client ----- free?

As far as VMWARE is consern any other licence i need to buy?

Re: VMWARE newbie licenceing question

As far as I'm aware there are no other licences you need - other than the licences for any additional guest OSes you add later.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      As far as I'm aware there are no other licences you need - other than the licences for any additional guest OSes you add later.

really!! what about the management softwares for VM like VMI, Virtual centre etc?

cause If i have 10 guest servers I will need some managment software from VMware?

If that's free also then I don't understand how VMWARE make the money?

Comment

Originally posted by zrider View Post
        really!! what about the management softwares for VM like VMI, Virtual centre etc?

cause If i have 10 guest servers I will need some managment software from VMware?

If that's free also then I don't understand how VMWARE make the money?

VMware Server = Free (Self managed)
        VMware ESXi = Free (Self managed, or can be used with vCenter)
        VMware Infrastructure/vSphere = $$$ (Self managed, or can be used with vCenter)
        VMware vCenter (Management Server) = $$$
        Last edited by VWA4; 14th August 2009, 03:57.
        MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Comment

Hi All,

I downloaded VMWare ESXi 3.5 for Dell server. I understand its free but I'm now getting a message from my VM infrastructure client saying:
          "There are insufficient licenses to complete this operation"...
          I have 7 VMs installed but only have 4 running at once.

What are the license limits to this free version?

Under the lincensed features I have evalution = expired and when editing this I have to enter a license...

What would I have to upgrade to? Why wouldn't I just go back to VMServer on a Linux OS?

Best Regards,

Daniel Doohan

Comment

Daniel,

Even though ESXi is free it still requires a license key to be installed on the product. From the download page for ESXi (after you sign in with your VMware account) your license key should be listed there. If you do not have a VMware account you will need to create one and step through the process to have them email you the key when your account is generated.

-Jason
            MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Comment

Working...
            X