Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESXi 4.0: Poor Man's Template?

Hi,

I need to figure a way to clone machines using ESXi 4.0 which (to my knowledge) does not have the ability to create templates.

I tried VMWare converter on the running VM and ended up with a system that wouldn't boot so I'm assuming that that isn't the way to go. I've also tried copying the VM using the datastore browser and that didn't work (Wouldn't even start).

I'm sure I could use something like Acronis to image the system (I heard it can also create VM's but never tried it beyond a straightforward backup utility) and I could probably create a blank VM then attach to a Ghost floppy image and attach the main drive of the "template" system.

Actually (being a dinosaur i.e. a bit ancient) that last rather appeals to me since I know I can vary the size of the base VM partition using Ghost.

Any other suggestions?

Kyu

p.s. just out of curiosity, how much would it cost me to buy a virtual centre licenses (I believe that gives you the ability to create templates yes)? What other benefits would I get?
    Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 4th August 2009, 09:15.
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: ESXi 4.0: Poor Man's Template?

You could always export the virtual machine to an OVF (Virtual appliance) and iport it again. Of course there is some customization that will have to be done after that

The cheapest you can get for a Virtual Center License is to buy the Essentials Package that includes 1 Virtual Center and 6 ESX CPU licenses
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Re: ESXi 4.0: Poor Man's Template?

Originally posted by Maish View Post
      You could always export the virtual machine to an OVF (Virtual appliance) and iport it again. Of course there is some customization that will have to be done after that
      OK ... if I go back to ESXi (and it's looking like I will since I haven't been able to get on with other Hyper-V's at all) I will find out how to do that, thanks

Originally posted by Maish View Post
      The cheapest you can get for a Virtual Center License is to buy the Essentials Package that includes 1 Virtual Center and 6 ESX CPU licenses
      Er ... yeah ... I don't think I can afford a thousand dollars just to muck about on a home system

Kyu
      J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
      The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

Working...
      X