No announcement yet.

About VM License

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About VM License

We have been using Windows Server 2008 and Exchange Server 2007 installed on that. We are planning to create a new instance on SAN for Windows/Exchange so that if first Exchange Server overloads, we can move that instance to other instance created on SAN.

Shall we need to buy two more licenses (one for Windows and one for Exchange) for that new instance ?

As far as I know, one license can be used for one instance only (production instance). Can we use the same license if we move existing instance to a new instance ?

Please confirm....

Re: About VM License

Having read your question, I'm slightly confused about what you're asking, and whether or not your question is relevant to VMware. Please can you clearly explain what you are asking?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

If its not going to be live then i wouldn't imagineyou would need a licence for it.

Best bet would be to call MS and ask them.

Depending on what type of Server 2008 license you have you may be able to setup the 2nd 2008 VM without additional licenses.

MS licensing model for VMs running server 2008

Product -Maximum permitted running instances in a virtual OSE per license
        Windows Server 2008 Standard - One
        Windows Server 2008 Enterprise - Four
        Windows Server 2008 Datacenter - Unlimited
        Windows Server 2008 for Itanium Based Systems - Unlimited
        Windows Web Server 2008 - One*

**taken from that document**
        Last edited by eddo; 29th July 2009, 15:39.