Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical support for VMWare Esx3i

Hi Everyone,

we are planning to deploy VMWare ESX 3i which is free on HP Proliant DL 380.

1) What kind of support should we buy from VMware ? Gold or Platinum. Do you feel this is need?

2) Are their any known issues that I need to be aware of?

3) Apart from technical support, are their any addons which are necessary?

Thanks

Re: Technical support for VMWare Esx3i

Thats the free version that can come embedded. Its quite intuitive to be honest. I wouldnt bother with a support contract for 3i. Save your money. As for addons on 3i its quite limited in comparison to ESX and wont boast the full suite of tools available in the enterprise version.

VMware ESX
    Service Console is a standard Linux environment through which a user has privileged access to the VMware ESX kernel. This Linux-based privileged access allows you to highly customize your environment by installing agents and drivers and executing scripts and other Linux-environment code.

VMware ESXi
    VMware ESXi is designed to make the server a computing appliance. Accordingly, VMware ESXi behaves more like firmware than traditional software. To provide hardware-like security and reliability, VMware ESXi does not support a privileged access environment like the Service Console of VMware ESX. To enable interaction with agents, VMware has provisioned CIM Providers through which monitoring and management tasks – traditionally done through Service Console agents – can be performed. VMware has provisioned RCLI to allow the execution of scripts.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=1006543

Comment

2) You cannot buy Gold/Platinum Support for the free ESXi - only per incident support.
      3) If you would like to manage your hosts centrally, then I would go for the vSphere Essentials (it only costs $1000 - includes Central Management and licenses for 6 socket - usually 3 servers)

There are several other limitations on the free edition such as read-only access to the API. You will need to evaluate your needs, if it is for a small deployment - personally I think the $1000 is very worth while
      Maish
      ----------------------------------------------------------
      Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
      VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
      MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
      A proud husband and father of 3 girls
      If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Can you do vmotion with that version of vCenter?

Comment

No, you cannot. At most the Essentials Plus package gives you High Avalability
          Maish
          Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
          VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
          MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
          A proud husband and father of 3 girls
          If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Working...
          X