Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual NAS?

OK ...

So I've now built my ESXi 4.0 server (2 x Xeon 5130, 16GB and a 2TB RAID 5 array based on the Adaptec 2610SA (worked under ESXi 3.5 but I couldn't confirm it worked under ESXi 4.0, now I know it is OK) and I want to start doing things

First thing I need to do is use it as a backup device in order to rationalise various stashes of data I have stored around the place so I decided I could create a virtual NAS. Then I realised there was probably a NAS virtual appliance already built so I figured I could use one of them. Of course I could simply build some kind of Windows box and give it 4 striped hard drives (to get around the 256Gb disk limit).

So, I need about 1TB usable space ... any recommendations?

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: Virtual NAS?

Openfiler??
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

http://www.freenas.org/index.php?opt...ions&Itemid=58

Try FreeNAS i have used this before on ESXi deployments. Theres a pre built VM aswell.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks Guys

I tried FreeNAS because there was a FreeNAS application on the VMWare site ... I didn't end up using it because I couldn't download it but ended up d/l the LiveCD (r0.69).

So I built the system, loaded the CD and started it and it seemed to work. So I shut it down and, because ESXi has a 256Gb VHD limit, created additional VHDs so I had 4 x 256GB then used the NAS's inbuild software array to build it. IT took ages ... later I powered everything off (I'm in the DEV phase right now so I've yet to fully switch over to my ESX host and VM's). I powered up the next day and (with hindsight predictable) no array because, of course, a LiveCD doesn't save settings ... doh! So, a new 5Gb VHD later I did it again ... boy does it take a long time to create the array ... twice!

My first problem was I configured the CIFS/SMB sharing to the root (/mnt) since all I wanted was a huge disk but when I mapped a drive to it from Windows XP Pro I was informed the drive was 75Mb capacity rather than 1000 plus GB. I posted in the FreeNAS fourms and was told it that I shouldn't map the share to "/" (is that the same as "/mnt"?) because of a bug in 0.6x.

So I presume I have to create a folder on the array, not sure how to do that. I must admit Linux (on which FreeNAS is based) does my head in a bit and I'm not sure why I should need to know Linux to configure a NAS, I should be able to do it all through the front end. Oh well ... RTFM

I suppose most of all, OS cost issues aside, I'm not even sure why I'm bothering with a NAS as some kind virtual Windows machine would probably achieve what I want a whole lot easier ... academic interest I suppose

Kyu
        Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 16th July 2009, 10:31.

Comment

OK,

So me and FreeNAS didn't really get on! I've read the manual and I can't get it to work so I will try OpenFiler instead.

I like the GUI based install though the rather sparse webGUI is a bit weird! I'm fairly sure I created and configured a 1TB software RAID drive but now I can't do much (sparse webGUI) so does anyone know where's there's an operations manual or can anyone tell me how to create shares/access my NAS raid drive etc.? Looking at their web site OpenFiler looks semi-commercial, looks to me like you might have to buy the Admin Guide ($40) ... is that in the spirit of open source?

I'm beginning to wonder if it wouldn't be easier to create a bog standard Windows server with lots of disk space.

Kyu
          Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 17th July 2009, 10:41.

Comment

Hi,

I apologise that this isn't specifically virtualisation but when I run my OpenFiler NAS running on ESXi 4 and access the webGUI I get what you see in the attachment ... I've looked on some blogs and they apparently don't get this, they seem to get a more complex page.

I gather I should get something like this: http://www.openfiler.com/products/screenshots

I don't get it, why don't I get what they get, why can't I configure the thing?

EDIT: AAHHHH! You don't use the "root" id & password!!!!!!!

Kyu
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 17th July 2009, 21:08.

Comment

It's probably me but I couldn't get anything to communicate with any of my virtual NAS's so I've pretty much given up on the idea (still got the machine but deleted the virtual array disk drives) and switched to a virtual Windows 2003 server. I'll play with the concept again later but right now I'm thinking a cheap (physical) NAS might be a better idea.

Maybe it's just familiarity but I was mucking about with the vNAS's for 5 to 6 days, each time I configured a disk it took 2 to 3 hours to format the array and I could never get a proper connection ... I switched to a Windows server and not only did the array take less than an hour to format but it's already in use as a file and print server.

Many thanks to those who offered advice

Kyu

Comment

Just to boost, Our setup for three VM at the moment.

Base
                PowerEdge R710 Rack Chassis for Up to 8x 2.5" Hard Drives
                Additional Processor
                Intel® Xeon® E5520, 2.26Ghz, 8MB Cache, 5.86 GT/s QPI, Turbo, HT
                Memory
                24GB Memory for 2 CPUs, DDR3, 1333MHz (6x4GB Dual Ranked RDIMMs)
                Optical Devices
                16X DVD-ROM SATA Drive
                Shipping Documents
                R710 EMEA1 Ship and Docs
                Base warranty
                1Yr Basic Warranty - Next Business Day - Minimum Warranty
                Support Services
                3Yr ProSupport for End Users and Next Business Day On-Site Service
                Installation Services
                You have chosen not to take the Dell PowerEdge installation service
                Systems Management
                Electronic System Documentation and Dell OpenManage DVD for PowerEdge R710
                Rack Mounting Rails
                Sliding Ready Rails
                Order Information
                PowerEdge Order - United Kingdom
                Optional Documentation
                English Documentation for SAS 6iR Controller
                PCI-E and SCSI English Documentation

Processor
                Intel® Xeon® E5520, 2.26Ghz, 8MB Cache, 5.86 GT/s QPI, Turbo, HT
                Powercord
                2x Rack Power Cord 2M (C13/C14 12A)
                2nd Hard Drive - Multiquantity
                300GB, SAS, 2.5-inch, 10K RPM Additional Hard Drive (Hot Plug)
                Riser Card
                Riser with 1 PCIe x16 + 2 PCIe x4 Slots
                1st RAID or SCSI Controller Card
                SAS 6iR Internal RAID Controller Card
                Factory Installed Operating System
                Not Included
                Front Bezel
                R710 Rack Bezel
                Raid Connectivity
                C3 - RAID 1 for PERC 6/i or SAS 6/iR Controller, 2 HDDs
                Power Supply
                Energy Smart Power Supply, Redundant (2 PSU), 570W, Power Saving BIOS Setting
                1st Hard Drive - Multiquantity
                300GB, SAS, 2.5-inch, 10K RPM Hard Drive (Hot Plug)
                TCP/IP Offload Engine Enablement
                Dual Embedded Broadcom 5709 2P GbE LOM with TCP/IP Engine (4P TOE) and iSCSI Offload
                Server Management Cards
                iDRAC6 Express Server Management Card

+

THECUS N8800 8 BAY NAS 12TB

Comment

Ignore this! Delete!

Comment

Working...
                  X