Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware Server not recognizing CD/DVD or ISO

Hello All,
    I am a first time user of virtualization and installed VMware server 2.0 for the first time. The setup I am using is as follows
    Host OS - Vista Home Premium (Ex. LT1)
    VMware Server is installed on LT1
    I have created a virtual PC (VPC1) on my external HDD (Ex. EHD1)

When I start the console and Power On my VPC1 for the very first time, all I get is a black screen with 2 tabs on top.. Under Devices I see that my CD/DVD drive is connected to Server but Windows 7 installer doesn't start at all.

My CD/DVD is added as IDE.

Then, I tried to install guest OS (Win 7) using ISO, but the same result. I see the ISO file name under Devices but my VPC1 just doesn't boot.

Just as a precaution (not sure if its needed) but I do PowerOn and Power Off after changing configuration to make sure my changes are detected.

Will someone help me resolve this?

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks,
    Prince

Re: VMware Server not recognizing CD/DVD or ISO

If I'm not mistaken you'll need to access the boot menu by pressing ESC when the guest machine powers up, then select CD/DVD from the boot selections.

Comment

Is it the same as selecting Boot into BIOS mode ? I saw this option under VM Configuration. I tried it but nothing happened.

Thanks for the tip, joeqwerty.

Comment

Originally posted by priince View Post
        Is it the same as selecting Boot into BIOS mode ? I saw this option under VM Configuration. I tried it but nothing happened.

Thanks for the tip, joeqwerty.
        Have you check if the "Connect at Power on" box is ticked in VM Server for the virtual CD/DVD Device. Wording might not be 100% accurate but im sure you get the drift.

When you place the CD in the drive under Windows, does it detect the drive and come up with the Windows 7 Splash screen, etc? If it doesnt it could be a problem with your CD Drive, however when you say it doesnt work from the ISO Either, it sounds like the Virtual CD/DVD Device is not connected.

If you specify the boot options in BIOS, there should be no need to specify them @ boot time as has been previously suggested. Have you confirmed the ISO is readable? Try opening it with WinZip/Power Archiver/etc and make sure its not corrupt.

Comment

Yes I have it checked "Connect at Power On" option. The ISO works fine. I have burned it on DVD and that works fine too when I fire it from my host. However, it doesn't autorun on my host. I have to run the setup manually.

I tried MS Virtual PC and it worked there once.. but I am not able to get the VMware server to run.

Apart from this there is another issue where if I reconnect my external HDD and then try to run my virtual machines I get errors and have to create a new one each time.

Any thoughts on both my problems? :s

Appreciate your replies

Comment

Are you not even getting the Bios Screen when you have the console of the VM open?
            Maish
            ----------------------------------------------------------
            Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
            VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
            MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
            A proud husband and father of 3 girls
            ----------------------------------------------------------
            If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maish View Post
              Are you not even getting the Bios Screen when you have the console of the VM open?
              When my console is powering on I don't get BIOS screen, even if I press ESC key.

VMware server has been a pain.

I tried MS Virtual PC and everything went so smoothly. Though I still want to learn how to get VMware server working. It's frustrating but I can be patient

Comment

Hello All,
                I am a first time user of virtualization and installed VMware server 2.0 for the first time. The setup I am using is as follows
                Host OS - Vista Home Premium (Ex. LT1)
                VMware Server is installed on LT1
                I have created a virtual PC (VPC1) on my external HDD (Ex. EHD1)

When I start the console and Power On my VPC1 for the very first time, all I get is a black screen with 2 tabs on top.. Under Devices I see that my CD/DVD drive is connected to Server but Windows 7 installer doesn't start at all.

My CD/DVD is added as IDE.

Then, I tried to install guest OS (Win 7) using ISO, but the same result. I see the ISO file name under Devices but my VPC1 just doesn't boot.

Just as a precaution (not sure if its needed) but I do PowerOn and Power Off after changing configuration to make sure my changes are detected.

Will someone help me resolve this?

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks,
                Prince
                Just out of interest are those iso's bootable?

Comment

When my console is powering on I don't get BIOS screen, even if I press ESC key.

VMware server has been a pain.

I tried MS Virtual PC and everything went so smoothly. Though I still want to learn how to get VMware server working. It's frustrating but I can be patient
                  I think its F6 for the BIOS in Vmware... or is it F2? It will flash by very quicklythough on boot up if there isnt enough time delay on bootup. You can set a VM to boot straight into the BIOS on ESX. Iv only used Vmware Server 2 sparingly (suffice to say i preferred the oldeer versions that were console based rather than this Web UI nonsense...) and cant remember if it has that capability.
                  Last edited by scurlaruntings; 8th July 2009, 17:20.

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
                    Just out of interest are those iso's bootable?
                    Yes they are. Thats how it worked on MS VPC. As soon as I turned on the MSVPC it detected my ISO.

I will try F2 or F6 to enter BIOS

Thanks for the tips.

Comment

Hi,

In ESX, on the Edit VM Settings, there is a tab called "Options" and on that (under "Advanced") there is an option called "Boot Options" and on that (phew) there is a check box called "Force BIOS Setup" ... check that and the server will go into the BIOS next boot. In the BIOS you should ensure your CD is higher in the boot order than your hard drive (I suspect this might be your real problem).

I don't know whether any of the stuff above is in VMWare Server 2.0 but it's a possibility (perhaps even a likelihood?) that VMWare would do things in VM Server similar to ESX.

Whatever I hope it helps ... it was a total eye-opener to me because before that I used to click like mad on the console window whilst trying to hit [F2] to access the BIOS.

Kyu
                      Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 13th July 2009, 16:42.
                      J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
                      The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

In ESX, in the boot options you can set the power on boot delay in milliseconds to give you access to the bios post options. I set it to 5000 (5 seconds) on all VM's to give me enough time to press ESC, which brings up the boot menu, where you can select to boot from the CD. Of course the CD has to be set to Connected and Connected at Power On in order to boot from it.

Comment

Set the boot options delay between 5000ms and 8000ms

Start the VM, when you see the VMware BIOS booting press ESC

Connect the CD/DVD drive

Now click in the VM screen and use the arrow key to select the boot from CD option

Your VM will now boot to the CD or ISO you have connected

Comment

Working...
                          X