Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to backup ESXi VM using BE 12.5 and VCB 1.5 only through vCenter Server 4.0 ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to backup ESXi VM using BE 12.5 and VCB 1.5 only through vCenter Server 4.0 ?

Hi All,

I'm having problem in backing up a Live/online VM without any iSCSI SAN mapped on it
    How does one perform the multiple ESXi 4.0 VM backup using the VCB framework v1.5 + VCenter Server 4.0 and BE 12.5 in one server ?

Backup Server Spec (All in one server):

1. Windows Server 2003 Std R2 SP2
    2. SQL Server 2005 Std. SP3
    3. VCenter Server 4.0
    4. VCB Framework 1.5
    5. Backup Exec 12.5 (patched to the latest).
    6. Converter Stand Alone 4.0.1 -> only for the restore.

when i do the backup it failed with the following Error: (See the attached code)

Code:
    Job ended: Wednesday, 1 July 2009 at 6:42:42 PM
    Completed status: Failed
    Final error: 0xe000954c - An error occurred while running the VMware 'vcbMounter' command to back up a virtual machine. See the job log for details.
    Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-38220

Backup- VMVCB::\\vCenter\VCGuestVm\(DC)domain.com(DC)\vm\ORS\ASTON
    V-79-57344-38220 - Backup of the virtual machine 'ASTON' failed. VMware VCB framework reported the following error

Backup- VMVCB::\\vCenter\VCGuestVm\(DC)domain.com(DC)\vm\ORS\Win2003x64_RSA01
    V-79-57344-38220 - Backup of the virtual machine 'Win2003x64_RSA01' failed. VMware VCB framework reported the following error
    Error: Other error encountered: Snapshot creation failed: Could not quiesce file system.

Backup- VMVCB::\\vCenter\VCGuestVm\(DC)domain.com(DC)\vm\ORS\Win2003x64_RSD01
    V-79-57344-38220 - Backup of the virtual machine 'Win2003x64_RSD01' failed. VMware VCB framework reported the following error
    Error: Other error encountered: Snapshot creation failed: Could not quiesce file system.

Backup- VMVCB::\\vCenter\VCGuestVm\(DC)domain.com(DC)\vm\ORS\Win2003x64_RST01
    V-79-57344-38220 - Backup of the virtual machine 'Win2003x64_RST01' failed. VMware VCB framework reported the following error
    and then I come up with the following URL to diagnose the problem:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/321740.htm
    http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=1009073
    http://www.vmware.com/support/vspher...rel_notes.html --> even in the release notes the workaround is to not use VSS under the section "VCB Fails to Create Snapshot"

If I remove the VSS support this is not a good way to backup those VM as they're running SQL Server 2005 and Java Application server.

Any idea in backing up these VM please ?
    Last edited by Albertwt; 2nd July 2009, 07:17.

Re: How to backup ESXi VM using BE 12.5 and VCB 1.5 only through vCenter Server 4.0 ?

Do you have dot Net 2.0 SP1 installed on the VCB / backup server? If I recall we had similar error messages and installing dot Net 2.0 SP1 resovled them

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Re: How to backup ESXi VM using BE 12.5 and VCB 1.5 only through vCenter Server 4.0 ?

i believe yes as I'm updating it regularly it has .NET Fx up to 3.5 SP1

Comment

I'm sure we had to use .Net 2.0 SP1 specifically but we had our VCB on a seperate server and it needed 2.0 for the agent to run
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi m80arm, Thanks for the suggestion.

I couldn't draw any conclusion from this case apart from ** Any VM with Snapshot or CD-ROM attached to ISO in a datastore does not support VMotion **, does this Storage VMotion problem has got something to do with the failed backup process ?

I update this thread with the screenshot of failed to storage VMotion non Windows VM, I don't know why some of the Windows VM is OK with Storage VMotion but not some VM ?
          Attached Files

Comment

Just a note regarding the .NET platform: each of the .NET platforms are independent components. .NET 2 is not an upgrade to .NET 1 and .NET 3 is not an upgrade to .NET 2. If you have an application that needs the .NET 2 framework then you must install .NET 2. Installing .NET 3 will do you no good.

Comment

Originally posted by Albertwt View Post
              Hi m80arm, Thanks for the suggestion.

I couldn't draw any conclusion from this case apart from ** Any VM with Snapshot or CD-ROM attached to ISO in a datastore does not support VMotion **, does this Storage VMotion problem has got something to do with the failed backup process ?

I update this thread with the screenshot of failed to storage VMotion non Windows VM, I don't know why some of the Windows VM is OK with Storage VMotion but not some VM ?
              Please check and confirm 100% that the paths to you volumes are exactly the same on all you hosts.

On each of your ESX hosts

Code:
              ls -la /vmfs/volumes
              and see that the id's are exactly the same, this could be causing your issue.

I had a similar problem with this issue this week and found that the problem was a mistake I made when adding the storage.

http://technodrone.blogspot.com/2009...issues-78.html
              Maish
              ----------------------------------------------------------
              Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
              VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
              MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
              A proud husband and father of 3 girls
              If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

thanks for the help Maish,

I really appreciate your postings,

Cheers. !

Comment

Was that the issue?
                  Maish
                  Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
                  VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
                  MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
                  A proud husband and father of 3 girls
                  If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

To All,

I've found out the hard way from VMWare forum, see the following:

"2 services i found need to be running or at minimum not disabled are the Com+ system application and the Distributed transaction coordinator services. Snapshots still work after you disable com+ after the vmware tools install. I am not sure if com+ is needed for anything after setup."

hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                    X