How to back up DOS guest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to back up DOS guest

Lets say we have a 2003 Server, XP Pro host with the latest Vmware server, and a DOS guest. The XP host can have a tape software agent installed, which can back up local files from the XP host to the tape software on the server.

What's the best way to backup up the DOS guest?

The DOS guest has many data files, so I can't just back up the entire hard drive file. I need access to the internal DOS files so I can back up every data file independently, and do individual restores of specific data files only.

I was wanting to get DOS to use a physical partition, but I'm coming up with errors. I'm wondering if there are any easier methods of backing up the DOS guest OS.

Re: How to back up DOS guest

Forgive me for asking - but is this DOS machine connected to the network?

If so you can dump your files to a network share (i.e. you XP machine) and back them up from there
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Time to move on from DOS to Windows 2008....??
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Are all the files stored on a hard drive or floppy??

How much data are we talking about??

Have you tried the backup command??

http://www.computerhope.com/backup.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
          What's the hurry?
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's posts, but let me re-state the question.

We have a 2003 server with a tape backup system. XP Pro host and a physical, standalone, DOS machine that needs to be a Guest OS. The XP host has a tape software agent installed, where the tape server can backup files local to the XP Pro host. DOS needs backed up. Possibly the XP host can see the DOS files, and back them up using the tape software agent.

For ascii art example
            2003 Tape Drive <-- Network <-- |Tape agent software - XP host| <-- DOS Files

In summary, how can I best back up the DOS guest? I'm considering SCSI Passthrough with Vmware Server, but I'm having problems getting DOS to see the SCSI drive (need drivers?). Vmware Workstation has mapped drives, but they disconnect on Host OS reboot. I need the mapped drive to be persistent.

Forgive me for asking - but is this DOS machine connected to the network?
            No. The DOS machine is a standalone computer. My understanding is it's difficult to install TCP/IP and network DOS.

If so you can dump your files to a network share
            I'd need to figure out how to script a batch file to have today's date as a filename. For example 7.14.09.zip. I'd rather "pull" the files from the computer to the server, not a "push".

Are all the files stored on a hard drive
            Yes, they're on a hard drive.

How much data are we talking about
            Roughly 50 to 75 MB

???. This is a standalone dos machine that needs virtualized. It' s not a server.

Have you tried the backup command??
            We've tried backup and a HP tape software for DOS. It's difficult to get the labels to read today's date. It would difficult, if not impossible, to restore if we can't figure out where the date is to restore from.

Thanks for anyone's help. I need a bunch of help. What's the best way to back up a DOS guest?

Comment

So your DOS guest can map a drive to the Host machine then???

Maybe something like this???

http://www.computing.net/answers/pro...der/16705.html

Comment

Working...
              X