Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Readynas and VMware VM's.

Hi

I have just purchased a Netgear Readynas box for home (the Readnas RND2000 XRAID NAS) and it seems like a great box to keep a backup of my critical data and stream music and video.

Now that will take about 100gb in space and i'll still have 400gb odd to play with and it got me thinking if I could host all my test VM's i have created using VMware workstation, at the moment I am using a local machine but its lacks disk space, I have tried putting VM's on a external drive and performance is ok on this as well but for me it would be ideal if i could store them on the readynas and open them up through VM workstation.

Obviously putting it on a NAS box could be problematic, has anyone tried doing this on one of these ReadyNAS boxes? its probably not designed for this type of data and traffic but if anyone has got it working i'd be interested to hear any feedback.

One of the potential problems I see is I am going to be running it through a wireless router with a 4 port 100mb switch and see that as a problem, would replacing it to a gigabit switch make a huge difference or would it still be slow?

I'd appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks

Re: Readynas and VMware VM's.

From what I have heard - do not expect to get good performance running your Vm's.

Theoretically this should be pretty straight forward - all you would need it to point to the location of your VM and open the file
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Re: Readynas and VMware VM's.

Originally posted by ranjb View Post
      Hi

I have just purchased a Netgear Readynas box for home (the Readnas RND2000 XRAID NAS) and it seems like a great box to keep a backup of my critical data and stream music and video.

Now that will take about 100gb in space and i'll still have 400gb odd to play with and it got me thinking if I could host all my test VM's i have created using VMware workstation, at the moment I am using a local machine but its lacks disk space, I have tried putting VM's on a external drive and performance is ok on this as well but for me it would be ideal if i could store them on the readynas and open them up through VM workstation.

Obviously putting it on a NAS box could be problematic, has anyone tried doing this on one of these ReadyNAS boxes? its probably not designed for this type of data and traffic but if anyone has got it working i'd be interested to hear any feedback.

One of the potential problems I see is I am going to be running it through a wireless router with a 4 port 100mb switch and see that as a problem, would replacing it to a gigabit switch make a huge difference or would it still be slow?

I'd appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks
      I have used ReadyNAS on Esx to store .iso's and to act as a repository but that is all. VMware do not recommend running live VM's from NFS storage. Even with a GB backbone you will still get less throughput than direct attached storage.

Comment

Working...
      X