No announcement yet.

Vmware for MCSA Labs

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vmware for MCSA Labs

I am going to prepare MCSA.

I want to install 3 server 2003 (as a domain,exchanger,dns,dhcp etc.etc.....)

and 2 xp machine on vmware

so please tell me which one is good for my MCSA LABs (workstation or server)

on one computer.

Re: Vmware for MCSA Labs

why not use HyperV or esxi perhaps ?

Otherwise - i'm a fan of VMware server if it's not bare-metal (in which case i prefer esx)
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

ESXi will give you a bare metal Hypervisor, but it does not work on all hardware and you might have some issues setting it up.

Workstation is not a free product so for your study purposes I would go with VMware server.

Just remember that you need enough RAM for your Virtual Machines and in Server snapshots are only one step back (as opposed to Workstation)
      Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
      VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
      MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
      A proud husband and father of 3 girls
      If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Both will work. One is free. One is not. Go for the free one (VMware Server 2.x)
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+ - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

If you are ready to leave Vmware then you can try Its free and would work well for your needs.

There are too many free solutions you can use and that also include Xen Enterprise and Oracle VM but finding the flexible environment for learning is neither VMware Server 2.0 which is full web base otherwise pay for VMware workstation 6.5 and you have a lot good features.

If you decide to go with the free version of ESXi (no vmotion and DRS) here is an unofficial list of supported hardware:

I hope this helps.

VMware Server 2 is free and requires a host OS:

VMware ESXi 4 is free and is a bare metal hyper-visor:

Citrix XenServer is free and is a bare metal hyper-visor: