No announcement yet.

VMWare ESXi 4 Disaster recovery plan.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMWare ESXi 4 Disaster recovery plan.

Hi All,

I'm wondering of what tools or method that is normally used in backup and restore for VMWare ESXi environment ?

My deployment Consist of 2x ESXi 4 Servers which has got a local SATA about 1 TB
    connected into iSCSI SAN 1 TB LUN (see the following diagram)

I've tried to copy paste manually the VM directory from the Local SATA from Server A into the SAN and then create that particular VM setting on Server B after selcting that .VMDK from the copied directory, it confused me since there will be additional directory created with <VM Directory Name>_1 naming convention ?

any idea please in how to plan for Disaster recovery planning in ESXi environment ?

Re: VMWare ESXi 4 Disaster recovery plan.

I'm interested in this too (sorry, I don't have answers) ... ... I have at my disposal an Ultrium 1 tape drive (though not sure how reliable it is) but I'm playing with the idea of a USB removable drive caddy and backing up to a series of drives added that way (probably cheaper than tapes since I only have 4 right now).

J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

I have read earlier a post about Site Recovery Manager at:
      VMware Site Recovery Manager, Automated Virtualized DR

Though I have heard in other places that still not supported with vSphere. I am not sure yet as well if that is the best DR solution for VMware vSphere & hope to get some advice.

Best Regards,

yes, that is true, still wondering and experimenting of creating the replicated VM from the SAN into the Local ESXi datastore hoping that when the SAN fails, i can start the VM in the Local ESXi datastore (does not need to be realtime).

any idea on how to do this without getting 3rd party shareware tools ?