VMWare ESXi 4?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMWare ESXi 4?

Not keeping up I guess but just realized this was available.

So what is legal to download freely for ESXi now? You appear to be able to get an ESXi version of Sphere 4 and also Virtual Centre (I don't recall being able to use that on ESXi 3.5 but I could be wrong).

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: VMWare ESXi 4?

ESXi is always the free version is my understanding...

of course, it doens't support some of the things esx does
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      ESXi is always the free version is my understanding...

of course, it doens't support some of the things esx does
      Indeed and you can (presumably) download that freely just as you could ESXi 3.5 but what else can you download for free (Sphere 4 for instance?) ... I'm always up for freebies and I am migrating everything to virtual at home but in my defence I work with ESX and am a VCP (3.01 I believe). Personally I think VMWare ESXi is as awesome as it is awkward (in terms of hardware support) and, a year or so ago, I would have gone with VMWare Server but ESXi is so much cooler

Another question ... what does ESXi 4 offer that ESXi 3.5 doesn't (what's the difference?)?

Kyu

Comment

I couldn't tell you what the difference is sorry.. and in terms of vSphere..my interpretation (based on very quick run through from my other engineer) is that it's equivalent to vCentre
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
          Indeed and you can (presumably) download that freely just as you could ESXi 3.5 but what else can you download for free (Sphere 4 for instance?) ... I'm always up for freebies and I am migrating everything to virtual at home but in my defence I work with ESX and am a VCP (3.01 I believe). Personally I think VMWare ESXi is as awesome as it is awkward (in terms of hardware support) and, a year or so ago, I would have gone with VMWare Server but ESXi is so much cooler

Another question ... what does ESXi 4 offer that ESXi 3.5 doesn't (what's the difference?)?

Kyu
          VSphere is only a trial. ESXi itself and VMware server though are completely free. Imo VMware server is pointless. It was created originally as a sweetener to get those interested in ESX used to the VMware product. But there far to dissimilar and it must be installed on a MS server OS because of the web front end. Workstation is actually far more robust than VMware Server. But workstation you must pay for.

Have a look through Mike Lavericks website at http://www.rtfm-ed.co.uk/
          He's a guru on the VMware product and has some very good articles on Vsphere and ESXi4.

Comment

Vsphere is just the name they use for the new version (Version 4.0).

VCenter is an application which sits on another machine to manage your servers

Example:
            Server1 : Running ESXi4
            Server2 : Running ESXi4

Server3 : Windows 2003 Server running VCenter

You can choose to login directly (via the client) to any of the servers, but Server 3 will give you access to every VMWare machine (Licenses needed). So if you had 30 Servers you could log into the "VCenter" Server to manage them all.

Hobie

Comment

ESX4i is available for free - here

All you have to do is have a VMware account (if not create one) and request a license for anything up to 999 CPU's

vSphere - is the family of products (previously VI [Virtual Infrstructure]) This includes vCenter vShields vCloud ESX etc

You can download a fully-operational trial of basically any VMware product for your use for 60 days - free of charge.

Your vCenter Server can manage your ESX or ESXi hosts.

And yes the free version has several Limitations.

as opposed to
              Maish
              ----------------------------------------------------------
              Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
              VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
              MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
              A proud husband and father of 3 girls
              If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Hmm ... unless you guys are answering things other people said in the thread I think we're talking at cross-purposes

When I asked what was freely downloadable for ESXi I was aware that ESXi was freely downloadable (I have already downloaded copies of 3.5 several times, and yesterday downloaded ESXi 4 for the first time ... it appears to work fine on my DELL490 and detects the new 1TB disk I have in it) but was asking what else was downloadable that could be used with it ... I suppose I was mainly thinking about Sphere 4 because I didn't know what that was but someone explained that. Anyway, I apologise for expressing my question poorly and thanks for answers given anyway

What I would still like to know though is what ESXi 4 offers that ESXi 3.5 doesn't?

Kyu
                Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 4th June 2009, 09:08.

Comment

http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphe...nter/#whatsnew

Hobie

Comment

But VSphere isn't the same as ESXi is it?

Thanks anyway

Kyu

Comment

esx (i and full version) are a part of the vSphere family of products
                      Maish
                      Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
                      VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
                      MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
                      A proud husband and father of 3 girls
                      If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Great article on "How to Install VMware ESXi 4.0 on Workstation 6.5.2 as a VM"

Enjoy

Comment

Working...
                        X