esx - unable to mount root partition.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• esx - unable to mount root partition.

I was doing some work for a client today and the ESX Server dumped it's guts.. when it rebooted, I got an error saying unable to mount root FS on vfs 00:00..

I tride going into troubleshooting mode based on some links I'd found, but it shit out again, saying cannot run fsck, run manually.
    I tried to run fsck, and it failed to find the uuid. It seemed royally rooted.

So -for anyone who experiences sometin similar, here's what i did.

- boot off a linux rescue cd.
    - mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
    - mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/boot
    - mount /dev/sdb6 /mnt/var/log
    -chroot /mnt
    - esxcfg-boot -b -g -r -p (basically rebuild the initrd, boot volume, etc.)
    - exit chroot. umount everything clean. reboot.
    still got the fsck error.
    was able to get into troubleshooting mode and do a manual fsck this time, and fxied all the file system errors.
    another couple of reboots and it's all healthy now.

I hope this is of assistance to someone else
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: esx - unable to mount root partition.

Great stuff..

Noob question for you..

When you say Linux rescue disk, can you be more specific?

I am a windows guy and have never used / created a linux rescue disk. But since I am building my first ESX (Vsphere) system very soon I think I may need one

Thanks!
    Hobie

Comment

Re: esx - unable to mount root partition.

uhm.. something like a LiveCD - the ubuntu LiveCD for instance.
      In my case, I was very very lucky to actually have had the ESX3.5u4 disk with me - I was planning on doing an install at another site later in the day..
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
      X