Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESXi Storage/Performance Question

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out which way forward for my ESXi system (DELL 490) at home in terms of storage ... the Dell 490 DOES support RAID but, having read around, ESXi doesn't appear to recognise it.

Option 1:
    I can fit an Adaptec 2410SA SATA RAID (64Mb cache) and potentially run 3 x 320Gb drives off it (nearly 1 TB but probably RAID 0 so no redundancy) ... that's not much different from what I have now except that it's a Windows 2003 box which I occasionally back up onto tape. This should, in principle (RAID, 64Mb cache), run quicker but would be thrashed because all systems and data would be stored in one place.

Option 2:
    I can just use the single internal 160Gb hard drive and buy a (home) 1TB/GB NAS, run my machines on the internal disk but data held externally on the NAS. This would be a slower disc hosting the systems but would benefit by not hosting the data on the same drive.

Although my budget is relatively tight, there may be other options and in fact I just noticed a 1TB, 32Mb SATA2 drive on eBay so that's an option (presumably ESXi would see that and have a whole TB to play with. Then again I could do the same but put the drive in as a secondary so the data would be on a separate drive but still internal.

Q: Does ESXi have issues with specific types of SATA drive or is it reasonably safe to assume that, if it can see my internal 160Gb, it will see any SATA drive (for example this Samsung EcoGreen F2 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache - OEM) on the same interface?

If anyone has any storage oriented suggestions I would appreciate them.

Kyu
    Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 1st June 2009, 13:59.
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: ESXi Storage/Performance Question

Originally posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
    Hi,

I'm trying to figure out which way forward for my ESXi system (DELL 490) at home in terms of storage ... the Dell 490 DOES support RAID but, having read around, ESXi doesn't appear to recognise it.

Option 1:
    I can fit an Adaptec 2410SA SATA RAID (64Mb cache) and potentially run 3 x 320Gb drives off it (nearly 1 TB but probably RAID 0 so no redundancy) ... that's not much different from what I have now except that it's a Windows 2003 box which I occasionally back up onto tape. This should, in principle (RAID, 64Mb cache), run quicker but would be thrashed because all systems and data would be stored in one place.

Option 2:
    I can just use the single internal 160Gb hard drive and buy a (home) 1TB/GB NAS, run my machines on the internal disk but data held externally on the NAS. This would be a slower disc hosting the systems but would benefit by not hosting the data on the same drive.

Although my budget is relatively tight, there may be other options and in fact I just noticed a 1TB, 32Mb SATA2 drive on eBay so that's an option (presumably ESXi would see that and have a whole TB to play with. Then again I could do the same but put the drive in as a secondary so the data would be on a separate drive but still internal.

Q: Does ESXi have issues with specific types of SATA drive or is it reasonably safe to assume that, if it can see my internal 160Gb, it will see any SATA drive (for example this Samsung EcoGreen F2 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache - OEM) on the same interface?

If anyone has any storage oriented suggestions I would appreciate them.

Kyu
    Kyu, is this just for a setup to use for learning at home? If so, you could take some old hardware and load Openfiler on it. This can act as an iSCSI device and would allow you to learn how to connect them to ESXi.

Comment

Originally posted by dratnol View Post
      Kyu, is this just for a setup to use for learning at home? If so, you could take some old hardware and load Openfiler on it. This can act as an iSCSI device and would allow you to learn how to connect them to ESXi.
      Hi Dratnol,

Yes and no ... it is a home system, it is for learning but it is also my always on server that is the centre of my network and, yes, I know I could (and indeed at one point was going to) but electricity (especially these days in the UK) is not cheap and (effectively) running 2 servers rather than 1 potentially costly so I would prefer a single server solution if possible. It also means I can sell my old server and so buy further upgrades for the server

I suppose what I really want to know, since I have pretty much convinced myself that the way forward is to put a second 1TB drive in the system along with an existing 320Gb and an 80GB (configuring it with the OS on the 80, VM's on the 320 and data partitions on the 1TB), is is the size of the drive relevant to whether ESXi can see it? IOW ... if ESXi can see a 160GB SATA, is there any reason why it won't also see a 1TB on the same controller?

Kyu
      Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 1st June 2009, 19:34.
      J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
      The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

The problem is most likely the controller card and not the SATA drives. I have tested ESX / ESXi with multiple SATA drives and it sees them all so far (I've gone to 500GB so far. If the RAID is a "software" card ESX will not use the raid functionality and will think each drive is seperate.

To answer your question:
        Option #1 would be best case, but I would not suggest a Raid 0, you should have some type of backup so I would suggest Raid 5.

Hobie

Comment

Working...
        X