VM copy of laptop cannot connect to domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VM copy of laptop cannot connect to domain

Hello all - new to VMWare, I'm hoping this is a simple question.

I'm a contract application developer. Since my customer does not have the budget to replace my crappy laptop, I thought I'd do this:

Buy my OWN new laptop
    Use VMWare converter and make a VM of my crappy laptop (with expanded memory, hard drive space)
    Run the new Virtual laptop on my new laptop (VMWare Workstation 6.5)

VMWare converter worked just fine, and the virtual laptop works great from home through a VPN connection. In the office, however, I can't login to the domain. I know it is connected to the network, because it worked ONCE (was able to login and work just fine). After that time, I get this:

"Windows cannot [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]connect[/COLOR][/COLOR] to the domain either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was not found. Please try again later. If this message continues to appear contact your System Administrator for assistance."

If it matters, I have also inadvertently had the REAL laptop and the virtual laptop connected at the same time, and received the message "Duplicate name found on network" (or something like that). Obviously it knows I'm there...

Anyway, did I do something wrong? I'm wondering how Active Directory knows that my "virtual" laptop is not the real thing?

So, I'm back to using my crappy laptop until I get this working. Otherwise, I bought a really expensive laptop for nothing...

If it matters:

Host OS: Vista Home Premium 64 bit
    Guest OS: WinXP

Thanks,

Dave

Re: VM copy of laptop cannot connect to domain

Have you tried rejoining your (virtual) laptop to the domain?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Can I do that as a regular user? Sorry, my Microsoft admin skills are 10 years old, meaning the little I remember is obsolete... If I have to involve our domain admins, I'm probably out of luck.

Comment

You are trying to run the same machine from two different places (old and new)
        There can only be one machine with the same name and computer account in Active Directory at on time - you cannot use both
        Maish
        ----------------------------------------------------------
        Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
        VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
        MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
        A proud husband and father of 3 girls
        ----------------------------------------------------------
        If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

I did have them both running at the same time when I thought I was troubleshooting a networking problem, but only for about 5 minutes. After shutting down the "real" laptop, the VM version still did not work.

Comment

Not surprised -- AD would be having a litter of kittens at the thought of duplicate machines!
            As long as you have (a) a domain account and (b) a local administrator account you should be able to join the domain (unless the admin has blocked it via group policy
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Looks like I did NOT have permission to rejoin the domain. I managed to find some help with that, and my virtual laptop is in business. Thanks for the advice!

Dave

Comment

Working...
              X