Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtualizing SBS 2003 Standard Edition R2 on Debian Linux Lenny host

Hi there,

As I need to make a clean install of my SBS 2003 Standard Edition R2 I'm wondering if I should install it on a VMWare server running on a Debian Linux 5 Lenny host.

The reason for this consideration is the ability to make snapshots of the server.

Anyone in here who has done this setup with linux as host OS for a Virtual SBS 2003 server?

Re: Installing SBS2003 OEM as guest on Virtual Server

Originally posted by Briefcase View Post

It seems to think it isn't a OEM version. Tried both VMware Server and MIcrosoft Virtual server, same results.

Does anybody have any bright ideas?

Thanks.
    I'm going to test this setup on a Debian Linux Host with VMWare 2.0.1 (http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=36217) later this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by denbert View Post
      I'm going to test this setup on a Debian Linux Host with VMWare 2.0.1 (http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=36217) later this weekend.
      Just installed SBS 2003 Standard Edition R2 (OEM) as guest on VMWare 2.0.1 - Host OS is Linux Debian 5 "Lenny" 64-bit

Works like a charm

The Hardware is a AMD Phenom II 940 processor with 8 gb ram, MOBO is ASUS M4N78 PRO, nVidia Geforce 8300, Integrated VGA, PCI-Express, Dual DR2-667/800/1066, Socket AM2+, Phenom II Supported

Comment

Originally posted by denbert View Post
        Just installed SBS 2003 Standard Edition R2 (OEM) as guest on VMWare 2.0.1 - Host OS is Linux Debian 5 "Lenny" 64-bit

Works like a charm

The Hardware is a AMD Phenom II 940 processor with 8 gb ram, MOBO is ASUS M4N78 PRO, nVidia Geforce 8300, Integrated VGA, PCI-Express, Dual DR2-667/800/1066, Socket AM2+, Phenom II Supported
        Wonderful. Now if we can get back to the question Briefcase asked about installing SBS2003 on a Windows Server 2008 and NOT Linux.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Wonderful. Now if we can get back to the question Briefcase asked about installing SBS2003 on a Windows Server 2008 and NOT Linux.
          Sure, the reason for me to test Linux as host OS was, that normally VMWare should just work if they have correct settings for the guest OS - I have the same guest OS, and therefore it was easy for me to test.

The VMWare 2.0.1 server has SBS 2003 as a standard guest OS:

Therefore i suggest, getting latest VMWare 2.0.1 for windows - If problem still exist, change host OS.

Comment

Re: Virtualizing SBS 2003 Standard Edition R2 on Debian Linux Lenny host

Moved all your posts to this thread as they had nothing to do with what Briefcase asked. Why would he use Linux as the Host O/S when he has 2008 Server and was asking questions about SBS running in a VM on 2008 Server.

You were taking the thread and hi-jacking it at the same time.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: Virtualizing SBS 2003 Standard Edition R2 on Debian Linux Lenny host

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              Moved all your posts to this thread as they had nothing to do with what Briefcase asked. Why would he use Linux as the Host O/S when he has 2008 Server and was asking questions about SBS running in a VM on 2008 Server.

You were taking the thread and hi-jacking it at the same time.
              I'm really sorry that I just suggested this.

I posted this because I'm currently testing SBS 2003 Standard as guest OS, and has a WORKING solution. I thought it could be of interest to Briefcase.

Once more, I'm sorry, I'll try to be more strict in future posts.

Comment

Working...
              X