Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESXi: NAS Boxes

OK,

I want a NAS box for my ESX server so I need to research this.

First of all I could just use my old server which would give me around 640GB space using a couple of Seagate 320's ... as I see it the downside of using this with something like OpenFiler is power; it's an IBM x206 server and will use more power than a purpose built NAS box; it's (presumably) noisier. On the plus side it can be upgraded and it can support more than 1 GB NIC (which would allow me to give the ESXi host a dedicated network link.

Secondly I could buy a NAS case the downside being expense and the difficulty in sourcing cheaper multi-disk (3 or better) units, also no dual NIC. On the plus side it should be quieter, should use less power and I get to sell my old server (I should be able to get enough to cover the expense of buying a NAS caddy).

Thirdly just buy a 1TB NAS box with 1GB NIC capability. Downside is only 1 NIC, 1 disk so no redundancy, backup issues (lots of important stuff going on it). Upside is warranty (year or two years), power, noise and so on.

As far as I know ESXi has no problem seeing an OpenFiler NAS but, given that some of them seem to require client drivers, can anyone tell me if NAS's can just be seen by ESXi or whether there is a "cheap NAS" compatibility list somewhere?

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: ESXi: NAS Boxes

If you can export an NFS share (and it supports no_root_squash) then you ESX/ESX3i can use it.

Does not have to be on the HCL

Of course if you are using this for a production environment and you want support - then an HCL supported Storage would be a good idea.

http://go.iomega.com/en-us/products/.../?partner=4760 and http://go.iomega.com/en-us/products/.../?partner=4760 are relatively cheap products and are even on the VMware HCL.
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Thanks Maish

Kyu
      J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
      The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

You're welcome
        Maish
        Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
        VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
        MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
        A proud husband and father of 3 girls
        If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Working...
        X