Which one?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which one?

I'm so confused as to what I should be looking for.

I made this post in the Server area.
    http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=35276

But more I research I think it's time to virtualize what we have.

I looked at ESXi but it doesn't support USB ports...for what ever reason and we need to have that for external drive storage..

My budget is very small and would like to keep it free.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should look for?

Re: Which one?

MS Virtual PC, Server and Hyper-V will allow you to map to a drive on the host machine, so therefore, you could use a USB HDD and attach it to the host. Is that what you are looking to do?

Comment

Honestly I'd rather stay away from microsoft.

I'm looking to turn an old server into a virtual server. But need a VM OS to run (like esx)...but not sure which one I should get.

Comment

If you are looking for a free version of something that will host your VM's you can use Vmware Server - That will allow you to map your USB devices to your guest machines.

Performance will of course not be the same (but that is a whole different ballgame)
        Maish
        ----------------------------------------------------------
        Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
        VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
        MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
        A proud husband and father of 3 girls
        ----------------------------------------------------------
        If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

I'm no hypervisor expert, but I learned recently (from this thread actually) that Citrix's XenServer Enterprise is now free. Not sure if it supports USB though. I would imagine it would if it's "Enterprise".
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

jeff, what do you want to be able to use the USB ports for exactly ?

Cause with ESX and ESXi, not only can you not pass a USB device to a guest OS, but you also can't configure a USB disk as a datastore.

I beleive there is a product called usb-anywhere or soemthing, that yo can use in a situation where you need to present a usb device to a virtual guest.. the issue in question was a hardware dongle for some application or other
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
              MS Virtual PC, Server and Hyper-V will allow you to map to a drive on the host machine, so therefore, you could use a USB HDD and attach it to the host. Is that what you are looking to do?
              Yes you can do that MS Virtual PC. The only thing that you will notice is
              that it is extremely slow since it is running over USB.

But i guess you must have already twigged that

Comment

Working...
              X