Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extending External Array

Evening, all

I've got a single ESX server running a HP DL380 (G5) with an MSA70 external array which houses our VM servers. I've added a few extra drives to the array and need to expand the usable storage.

Would I be right in presuming that this has to be done on the array controller card as that is where the array was created? also, am I right in thinking that I'd have to shut the whole server down, access the card, add the extra drives and then let it all build / boot as per normal?

Many thanks.

SOLVED

Seems you have to download and install the redhat Smart Array Configuration Utility CLI onto the server and then expand the array through the CLI. Simples, huh?
    That's a bit beyond my L33T [email protected] skillz at the moment so I think a support call will be going in on this one
    Last edited by graycat; 21st April 2009, 17:57. Reason: solved it out
    This message represents the official view of the voices in my head

Re: Extending External Array

actually.. that's pretty funky.. to be able to add more space to the array without powering down..

It's an issue i'll be grappling with shortly for a client.. we want to add more disks to an array, and a new logical volume, but the only way to manage the dell array is either dell OpenManage hosted on the physical server, as far as i'm aware, or through the bios.. which means a power-down..

Hopefully I can find something similar for ESX..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

tehcamel - after having a look through the HP stuff, it would make sense that Dell will have a CLI addon for their array card. After all, it's just a linux plugin so I don't see it being a major issue.

Once I get through with the support people, I'll post back with a guide / how to

Comment

There are two issues involved here:

1. Expanding the physical array. Depending on the type (RAID1, RAID5, etc) it may require breaking and recreating the physical array using whatever tools are available from the array vendor.

2. Expanding the logical array at the VM level, which should be do-able by adding an extent to the current array (data store). I don't think the physical parameters matter in the least to VMWare.

I've got a Dell PE2850 that originally had two 300GB HD's in a RAID1 array which gave me a 300GB data store in VMWare. I then added two additional 300GB drives in a new RAID1 array at the physical layer and added it as an extent to the VMware data store for a total of 600GB data store.

Of course I only dabble in VMware so anyone care to correct me or confirm what I'm saying?

Comment

i might test with our production server...

(Yes, I really said that. ...)
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
            i might test with our production server...

(Yes, I really said that. ...)
            don't joke - that's what I've got to do too! lol

Cheers for the info, joeqwerty.

I've actually had a chat with both our external support company and HP. HP recommend that it's done of their SmartStart boot CD to first expand the array and then extend the logical drive. After that they reckon VMware will be happy with the new additional space and nothing further will have to be done.

I'm still waiting for a VMware plugin for this but don't think we'll be seeing it any time soon

Comment

I did the SmartStart CD method today and it worked fine. Takes about 15 minutes per Gb according to HP so it took a while for a 1.2Tb array Fortunately was able to reboot the machine and it carry on extending the array with the hosts up and running.

Comment

Working...
              X