Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware server 2.01 on Win2k8 - multiple networks

Hi-

I have a Win2k8 Std 64-bit host with 12GB of RAM. I've got 2 NICs on it. I am using the one NIC as the primary connection for the host as well as 3-4 VM's. However I need to setup the 2nd NIC with a different network so that some of my new VM's can specifically use that network and not the primary - existing one on NIC #1.

However - I'm stumped - I can't see how to do this....Any ideas? I've put an IP address on the 2nd NIC - one from the new network - but inside of VMware server console - or managing virtual networking - it doesn't reflect how I can use that 2nd NIC with a new network. It just isn't there.

Unchecking the box on "auto" for bridging - is greyed out.

thx

VMWare server 2.01
    Win2k8 Std 64-bit Host
    12GB ram
    HP Proliant DL380 G5
    2xOnboard GbE links

Re: VMware server 2.01 on Win2k8 - multiple networks

Shadow -

I'm interested in knowing the same information. I'm doing a lot of searching for the answer and am happy to share it with you if I find the solution.

Have you yet found a way to get multiple NICs going?

Incidentally, I'm running the same config: W2k8 x64. Just not as much RAM as you, unfortunately.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Comment

Re: VMware server 2.01 on Win2k8 - multiple networks

Shadow -

It seems that with the loss of the VMWare Console in exchange for the new web interface, we've both been duped. In other words, I was thinking web-only.

From the Start Menu:

All Programs>>VMWare>>VMWare Server>>Manage Virtual Networks

Once you have that sweet app open, go to the 3rd tab: Host Virtual Network Mapping.

You'll see that VMnet0 is set to "Bridged to an automaticall chosen adapter." Hit the drop-down and select the adapter you want. Then what I did is set the alternate adapter to VMnet2. Doing this will UNcheck the option in the 2nd tab: Automatic Bridging (which is what you want).

I plan to get a switch that does VLANs but that's down the road for right now.

Let me know if you have any questions. Or, if you've already figured this one out, then great.

Best,
      Jeff

Comment

Working...
      X